Deep Water (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas are close to signing on to lead Deepwater, an erotic-thriller from Adrian Lyne (Fatal Attraction, Jacob's Ladder, Flashdance, Unfaithful).

If the deals are signed, production would start in November with a release through New Regency’s deal with Fox. Zach Helm and Sam Levinson (The Wizard of Lies) wrote the script, which is based on a 1957 novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith. The story follows a small-town couple in a loveless marriage in which the wife is allowed to take lovers as long as she does not desert the family. However, complications arise when the husband takes credit for the unsolved murder of one of the former lovers.

Lyne's last directed film was Unfaithful, which got Diane Lane an Oscar nomination.

source

Sam Levinson, yuck.

I'll still give it a watch though but I really dislike Levinson's writing. Assassination Nation and Euphoria have pretty cringe dialogue.

Lyne has got me interested though. And Affleck and De Armas of course I mean duh

I really like Lyne's work

I just hope Levinson doesn't grossly exploit the sexuality in the script like he does in everything.

Nepotism is a hell of a thing.

Have you seen The Wizard of Lies? I haven't seen all of Euphoria yet but as of now I definitely wouldn't say they're written by the same writer. Not to forget that this will be based off a book, which might also help, like Wizard of Lies which was based off real events.

I'll check it out and maybe I'll change my opinion about him. But my first impression, he's only here because of Daddy and the stuff of his I've seen is lackluster.

loll Daddy indeed

Let me know what you thought of Wizard of Lies, I thought it was pretty good

I'm wondering if we're gonna get bloated affleck for this since the marriage is sexless.

de Armas' hair, makeup, and costumes will be great though. This I know.

I hope they keep the time period 1957 and not have it set in modern day.

Have you read the novel?

I don't know how integral the setting is to the story but I must say I wouldn't mind if it's set during modern day. There aren't enough good to great erotic-thrillers anymore so I'd like it to take place during this day and age.

I haven't yet but I have read some of Highsmith's short stories.

This is going to sound like le wrong generation or whatever, but I think having it take place in the 50s is kind of radical in a way. Like in the 50s a woman having lovers outside her husband is something that was kept hush hush and is a literal scandal. It can easily have a sex positive tone and be more progressive in a regressive time period if that makes sense.

I feel like if it took place in today's time, that commentary and retrospective of the past will not be there.

Ya feel me?