Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:37 pm
Someone explained to me that in the comics, Jane Foster becomes Thor in one of the storylines.

Now granted the movies don't always follow the comics but that was the explanation I was given.
I don't think the issue people (read: non-"deplorables") have is whether or not it's a comic storyline, it's more the fact that Natalie Portman's character has been one of the worst parts of the two previous Thor movies and her removal/replacement in Ragnarok was one of the best things to happen to the franchise.

At the same time though, "those people" have already posted their rant videos on YouTube about "the wokening" of Marvel.

I get your point though but "those people" have ruined all chances of an honest discussion.

Bacon wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:35 pm
Why are we getting a film about Natalie Portman when we have an extremely well developed female Thor in the form of Valkyrie? They're even hinting that she'll be the first openly LGBT+ hero in the MCU, so why give Portman such a big role when you've got a perfect lead in Tessa.
Probably several reasons. One is probably that they want to have comics to inform their decisions so that they can point to a precedent, Jane Foster is Female Thor in the comics. One may be financial: Natalie Portman is a bigger star and is likely deemed to be a bigger draw. Valkyrie is female, black, and lesbian; Disney may consider that to be too much risk. Their reasoning may also be story-related: if they decided the film would be about Thor's love, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster naturally makes much more sense.

Man if Natalie Portman was a bigger draw, I would not have been the only person in the theater watching Vox Lux opening night.

Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm
I get your point though but "those people" have ruined all chances of an honest discussion.
I kind of disagree with this. The majority of people here aren't "deplorable" or MAGA-loving bigots, so I feel like this is one of the few places we can have an honest discussion (if you ignore the one or two exceptions).

I have faith in Taika for sure to do something interesting, but as someone who didn't love Ragnarok, I don't like the idea of Valkyrie getting side-lined for less interesting characters.

EDIT: And yeah Artemis I agree, Portman's definitely no box-office draw. Annihilation was one of my favorite films of last year but there was like no one in my theater.

Bacon wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:52 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm
I kind of disagree with this. The majority of people here aren't "deplorable" or MAGA-loving bigots, so I feel like this is one of the few places we can have an honest discussion (if you ignore the one or two exceptions).

I have faith in Taika for sure to do something interesting, but as someone who didn't love Ragnarok, I don't like the idea of Valkyrie getting side-lined for less interesting characters.

EDIT: And yeah Artemis I agree, Portman's definitely no box-office draw. Annihilation was one of my favorite films of last year but there was like no one in my theater.
Maybe Natalie isn't much bigger of a draw. It might depend more on the movie itself, but would movies like Black Swan perform as well with Tessa Thompson? It's questionable.

Would a scene that hinted at Valkyrie's sexuality have made Ragnarok any less money? Probably not. But Disney was still concerned and cut it under the guise of it "not fitting". So "Natalie versus Tessa" may still be something Disney internally insisted on mulling over.

It’s not fair bringing up Annihilation since the release was butchered by Paramount. Even if she’s not the biggest box office draw, she’s an extremely talented actress.
I can’t think of anything bad about her performances in the two Thor movies. If she’s given the right material and the writing and directing is good, there’s no reason to think that she won’t be great too. I liked Ragnarok and I think Waititi will give us something exciting and fresh.

So is Natalie Portman gonna get as buff as Chris Hemsworth for this or not?

Unfortunately not. Though, they should really be trained to look like Gina Carano, or the myriad of fitness models on Instagram. Actual, proper strength training with squats, deadlifts, bench press, &c. Not just basic endurance training and stretching. But their regimens are designed to make them remain looking like "models".