Barbie (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach, known for critically adored, film festival-playing quirky dramas, are tackling Barbie, Warner Bros.' big-screen take on the Mattel toy icon.

Gerwig and Baumbach will write the script, with Gerwig, who last directed Lady Bird, eyeing it as a helming vehicle.

Margot Robbie is starring in the feature project and is also producing the project via LuckyChap banner and LuckyChap's Tom Ackerly. Mattel Films's Robbie Brenner is also producing.

A Barbie live-action feature has been in the works since 2018 and has always attracted big-names. When it was set up at Sony, Barbie had first Amy Schumer then Anne Hathaway attached to star and Alethea Jones directing. When Barbie moved her Malibu Dream House from Sony to Warners late last year, Patty Jenkins was circling as director but nothing was ever formalized.

Gerwig and Baumbach's are outside the box for branded entertainment but shows that the studio and producers are committed to trying to make something with a unique voice in order to stand out in a crowded marketplace where titles vie for awareness.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ie-1196005

First time that this project excites me. Until now, I was just sad to see good actresses waste their time. But with Baumbach and Gerwig, it's not going to be the stupid comedy I feared. To see them on a bigger project is exciting. I don't think they will lose their 'independent touch' in the process.

If Gerwig is directing, I'm interested for sure. This project is already a little more exciting than Little Women.

Who knows, maybe they can fix the mistake of making that stupid doll, with this film after all.

lol

With Birds of Prey getting great test screening buzz and following that up with Gunn’s Suicide Squad and Gerwig’s Barbie it seems Margot can be a part of some acclaimed blockbusters finally to go along with her collaborations with Scorsese, Tarantino and films like I Tonya.

Armie Hammer or Chris Pine for Ken.

What part will Saoirse Ronan play? :D
The fact they approached Jenkins and are now handing it to Gerwig shows that they don't really know what they want the film to be.

Billy Magnussen for Ken.

BlairCo wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 12:47 am
Billy Magnussen for Ken.
lmao that would be amazing

Is it weird that I'm really excited about the hair/makeup/costumes? There's so much cool stuff they can do with that for a Barbie movie.

If you don't follow her already, follow Patti Dubroff on Instagram. She's Robbie's makeup artist and the looks she's doing on Robbie now for the OUATIH press tour matches the time period the film takes place in so well. Imagine what she'll do for the Barbie press tour.

BlairCo wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 12:47 am
Billy Magnussen for Ken.

he could rival this Ken

Also, Magnussen was hilarious in Aladdin he's got that comedic timing down