Chernobyl

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I still need to watch the rest of the episodes but I need to say, Craig Mazin has the career trajectory I would kill to have.

Dude started out in the marketing department at Disney and after doing the comedy and silly disney movies route, he makes one of the best reviewed shows ever.

As someone who works in a marketing department, it's really inspiring and I admire him a lot.

I have even more admiration for Johan Renck the director.

Holy shit, this finale was a real punch to the gut. I wasn't expecting to be this affected, but as they were rolling the credits with your typical "see what's happened to them since" segment, I was shredding a few tears. Probably the music helped as well, but overall this episode is definitely my second favorite after the first one - it had the same sort of choking, horrifying atmosphere... and it ends with the least happy ending possible I've seen on TV - I mean British sitcoms, Blackadder, The Office, or The Wire, these all usually end on a slightly sad or tragic note, but even they have something to cheer for. This was just... pure nihilistic. Wow, this will probably stay with me for a while.

Yeah this was absolutely brilliant. One of the best shows I've seen.

Apart from Skarsgard, Harris, Watson and frankly all the rest, Paul Ritter's performance as Dyatlov is what really stuck with me. One of the most tragic twists in the series for me was the fact that at the very end I actually felt sorry for him... I really can't put it any other way. Ritter, his stoic facial expressions throughout and his genuine anger, it's a perfect character.

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 7:19 am
Apart from Skarsgard, Harris, Watson and frankly all the rest, Paul Ritter's performance as Dyatlov is what really stuck with me. One of the most tragic twists in the series for me was the fact that at the very end I actually felt sorry for him... I really can't put it any other way. Ritter, his stoic facial expressions throughout and his genuine anger, it's a perfect character.
Yes. Loved that the show did not dump all of the blame on him, because that’s such an easy thing to do.
As much of an insufferable ass he was, someone who should have never held such a job with all its responsibilities, he truly thought he could rely on AZ-5 as a failsafe. The look on his face said it all. The fucked system of soviet neverending lies played him as much as it played everyone else.
I can’t stop feeling so horrible for Akimov and Toptunov. Those guys were forcibly cornered into a situation with no exits and genuinely thought they did everything right. :( They did not deserve any of this. Nobody did.

I don't think I can ever forget this dismaying harrowing theme composed by Hildur Guðnadóttir.

didn't realize Guðnadóttir did this

no wonder it's great

man, it's kinda hard to find flaws with this show

the whole show has near perfect costume and set design, and there are some shots that look like they're actual photos from that period

reminds of this track from the ending of The Terror somehow

footage obviously isn't from the show but is kind of weirdly fitting for both The Terror and Chernobyl