Chernobyl (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Really want to check it out, especially for Skarsgård

This is fantastic, and it's helping me numb the pain inflicted upon me by GoT.

Oku
With TV shows, it always takes a few episodes for me to really settle in and decide whether I want to keep watching or not, but with this one, I was hooked from the first twenty minutes.

However, I do have three minor, petty gripes:
- the fictional composite characters saying dumb things to create conflict, which stick out because everything else is so damn grounded
- some thinly-veiled exposition that was blatantly directed at the audience and pulled me out of immersion
- the characters speaking English, which I understand is a necessary evil to get it made

But again, minor, petty gripes that really didn't affect my enjoyment of the show.

I loved the first episode but it also got me thinking that it might have the potential to be a show with a phenomenal first episode and some mediocre latter episodes because the most terrifying and exciting things have already happened in the first one. It was like a unique unrelenting horror film, especially when you consider what's going to happen to those people and the terror of radiation itself. It was amazing and gripping... but I wonder where it's going to go next. Likely it will tell the story of the firemen taken to hospital but that just sounds more gruesome than terrifying. Probably it will deal with the cover up as well but I wonder how interesting it will be. The first episode's constant denial from the supervisors created some dark humor at times for its sheer stupidity but I wonder if the show will be able to create the right amount of tension with the whole conspiracy angle.

I'll probably see episode two this weekend.

LelekPL wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:22 am
because the most terrifying and exciting things have already happened in the first one
nope

Anyway, I think it's pretty amazing, pretty much The Terror S2 (can't wait for the actual S2 tho). Especially if you're from my corner of Europe you'll find it that much more haunting.

the makeup work on this is absolutely harrowing

Podcast 2 and 3 are in related.

Cilogy wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 11:44 pm
the makeup work on this is absolutely harrowing
The exact same thing I was thinking of. Some scenes in ep03 were really disturbing to watch...

Finally watched the first episode. This show is totally going to depress me for weeks. It is so so indescribably sad. Watching the first responders endanger themselves to such an extreme degree without even realizing was heartbreaking.

What a cunt Dyatlov was.