Nightmare Alley (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
no

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm
I know you're joking, but I will always have a long list of grievances with TLJ. Most of which I've expressed here. It's an unbelievably messy movie on a plot level, and Johnson is caught up in the concept of scenes rather than executing the scenes themselves. Thus why the throne room can be a terrific sequence yet the actual action is rather poor. Or how Crait can be emotionally and visually tantalizing yet fail to work as an actual battle sequence.

GDT has a different problem. He creates deliberately "simple" fairy-tale like good/evil narratives with cartoonish production design and flat classic Hollywood shot-on-a-studio-lot cinematography. His enthusiasm for his subjects is infectious, and I rather enjoy both Hellboys, Blade II, Crimson Peake, Shape and especially Pacific Rim, but these problems hold him back from being a terrific filmmaker.

point being, I'm honestly glad this might free up Leo to work with better filmmakers.

-Vader
couldn't agree more tbh

I think TLJ might've been a better film if Johnson had more experience. I guess Ridley Scott was right about that.

Vader182 wrote:
I know you're joking, but I will always have a long list of grievances with TLJ. Most of which I've expressed here. It's an unbelievably messy movie on a plot level, and Johnson is caught up in the concept of scenes rather than executing the scenes themselves. Thus why the throne room can be a terrific sequence yet the actual action is rather poor. Or how Crait can be emotionally and visually tantalizing yet fail to work as an actual battle sequence.

GDT has a different problem. He creates deliberately "simple" fairy-tale like good/evil narratives with cartoonish production design and flat classic Hollywood shot-on-a-studio-lot cinematography. His enthusiasm for his subjects is infectious, and I rather enjoy both Hellboys, Blade II, Crimson Peake, Shape and especially Pacific Rim, but these problems hold him back from being a terrific filmmaker.

point being, I'm honestly glad this might free up Leo to work with better filmmakers.

-Vader
I'm glad you realized I was messing and I know you have genuine issues with TLJ, that said on twitter you do come off as someone who is a Rian Johnson stan lol.

As for Leo, I agree he can potentially work with a better filmmkaer now (PTA duh!, and I think AGI!) but if he opts to nothing instead I'd be disappointed with him dropping this.

Demoph wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Like Inarritu?
Amores Perros is excellent.

I hope we'll find very soon if Leo has a new project, the possibilities are numerous :
-Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon first ?
- the new PTA project ?
- the new Iñárritu project ?
- Coppola's Megalopolis ??

All of these would be a big dream, but please PTA !!

Lol. Leo is not working with Coppola. Sofia would be better.

Sofia is making a film with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones, btw.

are we sure this isn't cil

and honestly, i'd love to see JJ branch out to more dynamic projects totally unlike his other work. Whether it's this or something else down the road.

-Vader