Parasite (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 7:05 am
You start thinking this is going to be this one thing.
It’s not, it takes many different forms by the end.
A masterpiece for sure.
The scene
where the servant opens the tunnel and it's revealed she has an husband in an insane tracking shot is one of the best reveals in any movie lol. I would have liked to see my face in that moment

late november over here :thumbup:

ttyl

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:20 am
m4st4 wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 7:05 am
You start thinking this is going to be this one thing.
It’s not, it takes many different forms by the end.
A masterpiece for sure.
The scene
where the servant opens the tunnel and it's revealed she has an husband in an insane tracking shot is one of the best reveals in any movie lol. I would have liked to see my face in that moment
Oh, I was shocked alright. Don’t know what I expected, but that wasn’t it lol.

On the ending...
it was so sickening and saddening... repulsed me almost, but also very much needed to ride that final message home

The twist threatens the entire set-up and tone of the movie... But it works. It shouldn't, but it does.

Also, with that final scene, there was one point where I said "If this ends here, then this will be a perfect movie". It didn't end, but it did cut to another shot, which made me rethink the entire last scene. I was just blown away.

BlairCo wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:48 am
The twist threatens the entire set-up and tone of the movie... But it works. It shouldn't, but it does.

Also, with that final scene, there was one point where I said "If this ends here, then this will be a perfect movie". It didn't end, but it did cut to another shot, which made me rethink the entire last scene. I was just blown away.
Oh I know just what you think. And it’s much better for that last shot.

Strangely, similarly to Once Upon later today... it left a sour taste in my mouth. Like I’m not sure I want to see it again even though it’s clearly fucking good? Such a strange feeling.

It's a fantastic genre-bending movie. It really works on most all fronts. However, my feelings are confused on whether the rich family was treated unfairly in this film. Like, the film makes a strong case that whatever happens in the end is because of the actions of the "parasites" but it also does feel
like it vilifies the "hosts" as insensitive to the poor simply for trying to protect their own family.
Without the insensitivity the social commentary wouldn't be as poignant but I'm not sure it worked in that scenario. Anyone had a similar reaction?

LelekPL wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 1:59 am
However, my feelings are confused on whether the rich family was treated unfairly in this film. Like, the film makes a strong case that whatever happens in the end is because of the actions of the "parasites" but it also does feel
like it vilifies the "hosts" as insensitive to the poor simply for trying to protect their own family.
I kinda agree with this, and it's why I wanted
"more closure for the rich family." Mr. Park's family were perfectly introduced, but the film made them less sympathetic towards the end, IMO. I came out feeling they deserved better than what the story gave them.
Aside from this, though, this film is better than most films I saw this year.

EDIT:
I also like BlairCo's observation.
The last two shots were genius.

The whole point of the movie, starting around that time when...
...the big flood happens, is that parasites are the victims here. You're no longer watching mere parasites, vermins, lazy oportunists (the way the rich see them but also us, the audience, for most of the movie), but also society rejects who were created by that same society. For most of the movie, we are laughing, thinking we're watching a particularly dark comedy, but towards the end it's pretty clear that we're actually watching grim reality. The line becomes a blur and finally disappears when all of them are together at a fancy party and start slaughtering each other. It's no longer a civilization, it's a primal jungle. Parasites become hunters, top of the food chain is suddenly at an extinction level. Therefore title itself becomes something more. Who exactly is a parasite here? And are these people living underground truly deserving of such derogatory title? The questions continue lingering on long after title credits...

LelekPL wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 1:59 am
It's a fantastic genre-bending movie. It really works on most all fronts. However, my feelings are confused on whether the rich family was treated unfairly in this film. Like, the film makes a strong case that whatever happens in the end is because of the actions of the "parasites" but it also does feel
Without the insensitivity the social commentary wouldn't be as poignant but I'm not sure it worked in that scenario. Anyone had a similar reaction?
I’ve seen so many people online “defending” the rich family, saying they were actually nice to the poor family and were just trying to protect themselves; it was the poor family’s selfishness that led to their demise. And I think that’s looking at it from a privileged standpoint. Regarding the morality of the families, there’s one line in the film that sums it all up: rich people are nice only because they are rich. If they’re poor, they would be as evil as the poor family.

Poor family is evil? :think: