Gemini Man (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
this movie looks really dumb

In the eternal words of our most prized member of this forum, Allstar: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh, didn't see that coming after the initial tweets that were released from the early screenings. It's not like they were a bunch of random fanboys like DC does for their stuff.

radewart wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 7:05 pm
Huh, didn't see that coming after the initial tweets that were released from the early screenings. It's not like they were a bunch of random fanboys like DC does for their stuff.
Still, it was "initial tweets". They are never reliable. I thought we have already learned this by now.

This breaks my heart, Lee has had a horrible decade. Hope he recovers from this.

Edit: I am aware he literally won the Oscar for BD *again* this decade, but Life of Pi is not that great imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if those reviews are super exaggerated. It seems like HFR will once again be divisive. I might be a fool for thinking with the initial reactions that that might change but fact is, regardless of the actual script (which seems fine for what it is), I'm seeing quite a few negative reactions thinking the HFR negatively affects the film in a way that doesn't seem quantifiable.

Billy Lynn had that imo, a really fine film that seemed to receive much harsher reactions when seen in HFR rather than good ole 24 fps. (ie affected the way the acting, the story are perceived). Then again for Gemini Man, it seems the HFR really enhances the action and seeing it in 24 fps might just strip it of a lot of the appeal, then again, it's the way Lee intends it to be seen.

I admire Lee for pushing the technology when few other people do and essentially doing a lot of the work that will make it better and better and more accepted. It's just however too alien for most people to accept and I don't think that will ever change. Even the Avatar sequels imo.

I guess it's possible Lee just took on this project because he saw it as a great opportunity to keep experimenting and the technological, VFX challenge was also too good to pass up. Still super excited to see it.

it's bombing

anybody seen it yet tho?

Not a whole lot of theaters are showing it nearby me and just a very few of them in 60FPS and just one in 120FPS lol

Somebody needs to tell Ang Lee that audiences don't care about 3D. Don't matter what it's frame rate is....

I love that he's experimenting with HFR, although I think 120FPS is a bit excessive, but in the end it's all about the story. The HFR was even noticeable in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and I saw that in 24FPS :lol:

I hope he'll return to form soon, so far it doesn't look like this is that film