Question about objectivity in movies...

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't like using these terms towards movies. Good dumb fun is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't think that suspending bias and objectivity are interchangeable although thats what everyone seems to be driving at. Theres also ignorance and lack of perception. Even pain is a subjective fact. Memento is brilliant in using subjectivity and objectivity though.
"When art imitates life"

Saying only one is absolute is ofc ridiculous. This is pretty much like 'intelectuality vs emotionality' in movies. People tend to make the mistake of overrating the role of one above the other, while in fact it's in many cases the intelectuality that defines emotional complexity, regardless if we're talking about movies or just people in general.

intelectuality vs emotionality, objective rating vs subjective rating, putting either above the other raises more questions than gives answers, not to mention the paradoxes

prince0gotham wrote:Saying only one is absolute is ofc ridiculous. This is pretty much like 'intelectuality vs emotionality' in movies. People tend to make the mistake of overrating the role of one above the other, while in fact it's in many cases the intelectuality that defines emotional complexity, regardless if we're talking about movies or just people in general.

intelectuality vs emotionality, objective rating vs subjective rating, putting either above the other raises more questions than gives answers, not to mention the paradoxes
You should have added...

-Vader

If you have to be objective in liking a movie, it's probably not worth liking.

My reviewing (and liking/disliking ways) are based around whether the movie did what it aimed to do and whether its target audience enjoyed it. I'm not giving a free-pass for genres like children's films (considering their aspiration is to make little kids enjoy it) a lot of it depends on the expectations given. I did not enjoy Cabin in the Woods because I was expecting a movie making fun of horror movies that was also thrilling and had about 4 or 5 spoiler bits. It didn't, it had one, and that one was a shocker(not in a good way); I still admire the film, but because of that, I gave it a 3/5.

It also works the other way. If I enjoy a movie, but its friggin terrible, I'll give a 3/5.
Essentially the movie/film's ultimate aspiration is to get the audience to enjoy themselves or get their emotions/intelligence up.