2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 5:54 pm
It is problematic, because even though people want change, they just can't stand it if the people who also want change aren't saints and well surprise surprise, basically no one is a saint. And I also think it's disrespectful to write Portman off on the basis of her 'not doing enough', because like Vader said she's at least doing something.
If it’s just done to look virtuous and for personal gain and nothing else it rings hollow to many, it’s not too complicated. It doesn’t really help the cause imo. And frankly, that’s how it comes across. The good thing is, Portman is almost certainly going to use her clout to hire women filmmakers now.

why do you guys keep ignoring the fact she's tried to get women hired on her projects multiple times and supposedly part of her fallout with the MCU was because of this

she also tried working with one of the great female auteurs of modern cinema so..?

-Vader

I’m not ignoring that? The fact is actresses with way less clout than her have done far better jobs in being successful in this regard. She obviously could have done so much more to support women filmmakers, so wearing that jacket rings hollow...it doesn’t really mean anything. Not sure why you’re getting so defensive over a kind of hypocritical celeb.

The "story" is that she hasn't worked with women filmmakers so she's a hypocrite or worse. But...she tried to. And in fact, she's tried to multiple times.

She literally walked out of the entire MCU she was so upset how Jenkins was treated.

The only reason she hasn't worked with multiple women filmmakers, which is more than you can say about most actors today (including DiCaprio), is because projects fell apart outside her control.

-Vader

She has had a production company for 11 movies...that's not exactly outside of her control. DiCaprio of course could have done a lot to help women filmmakers but he's not out there wearing a jacket with women filmmakers names on it to look good, thus not a hypocrite. I wish he would at least produce better projects (including women filmmakers) even if he doesn't star. Many of his produced documentaries have women filmmakers directing them, I think the number was at least half.

How come when Portman has "tried" it fails yet she's been a star since the early 2000's but Robbie has already done way more and was just discovered in 2013, I think there's something to be said about getting it done...that's all. I am not mad at Portman, I am not upset. I just kind of rolled my eyes.
Last edited by Allstar on February 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

she hasn't made perfect choices, pretty much nobody in Hollywood has, but she's fought multiple times for women voices on major projects. But that isn't convenient for the narrative in the media, so it's conveniently left out.

I don't even particularly like Portman as a person or an actress, but this whole conversation is super gross to me. I'm out.

-Vader

I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" here. Some people are insincerely bashing her that don't even care about women filmmakers and yeah that kind of sucks because those people are frauds as well. But me, personally I just want to see more action over the superficial stuff. That's all.

In spoilers because this meme is bigger than my spiritual dick on mobile and I don't want to take up a bunch of room on everyone's browsers

Artemis wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:46 pm
In spoilers because this meme is bigger than my spiritual dick on mobile and I don't want to take up a bunch of room on everyone's browsers
:lol:

“I agree with Ms. McGowan that it is inaccurate to call me ‘brave’ for wearing a garment with women’s names on it,” Portman said. “Brave is a term I more strongly associate with actions like those of the women who have been testifying against Harvey Weinstein the last few weeks, under incredible pressure.”

“The past few years have seen a blossoming of directing opportunities for women due to the collective efforts of many people who have been calling out the system,” Portman said. “The gift has been these incredible films. I hope that what was intended as a simple nod to them does not distract from their great achievements. It is true I’ve only made a few films with women. In my long career, I’ve only gotten the chance to work with female directors a few times – I’ve made shorts, commercials, music videos and features with Marya Cohen, Mira Nair, Rebecca Zlotowski, Anna Rose Holmer, Sofia Coppola, Shirin Neshat and myself. Unfortunately, the unmade films I have tried to make are a ghost history.”

“If these films do get made, women face enormous challenges during the making of them. I have had the experience a few times of helping get female directors hired on projects which they were then forced out of because of the conditions they faced at work,” Portman said. “After they are made, female-directed films face difficulty getting into festivals, getting distribution and getting accolades because of the gatekeepers at every level. So I want to say, I have tried, and I will keep trying. While I have not yet been successful, I am hopeful that we are stepping into a new day.”

- Portman