2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Song was up for supporting from what I understand.
Okay don't throw daggers at me but
replace Pacino for Song
time to hide

Sure but if there is one guy missing from the supporting category it's fartboi

lol love this dude

Artemis wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:48 am
Ruth wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:42 am
Just to keep the convo going, who would you guys have tossed out of the lead male actor category in favor for song? by far the toughest category competition-wise, i also think egerton was unfairly snubbed of a nom
Prob Two Popes dude and if we wanna make room for Egerton then maybe Leo.
then add adam sandler, eddie murphy, christian bale, etc. super stacked year, really hard to scratch someone from a list and make room for others, even if song was up for supporting

the academy should probably consider extending the maximum number of nominees in lead acting categories imo.

Yeah like they extended the BP nominations. Makes sense to extend the other categories too.

Woke up still elated about Parasite. This is going to go down as one of the most important and historic and greatest best picture wins of all time. I wish I recorded a reaction vid of my party, we all freaked out.

Director Bong calling out to Scorsese and Tarantino during his speech is one of the greatest Oscar moments. If only Song was nominated too... (although Pitt winning is perfect).

-Vader

Yeah it's easy to say this or that person should have been nominated, zomg snubbing so hard and yeah: most of the time that's true. But I find it harder to simply scratch people off who have been nominated, there are only so many awards and only so many people to be nominated each year. The categories were stacked and luckily there are plenty of awards to be handed out each year. But I love that the Oscars bring the technical aspects of film making to light just as much as the acting for example.

@Vader182: ikr? Such an amazing moment, love it! Was great news to wake up to!

to elaborate on the idea of extending the limits of acting nominations - if we’re (well, they) working towards inclusivity and diversity, and not just stateside but on an international level, like the precedent Parasite may have (hopefully) set; then the number of actors and performances that the academy would need to consider also broadens exponentially. YES, snubs always happen and that’s the reality of any awards, but my point is just that if we’re willing to welcome more people into the industry, then we also should probably make it possible for those people to get properly recognized. Adding at least 2 more slots would not hurt the award prestige at all.

ruth ilu but the ceremony is already three and a half hours long!

counter-point: combine both sound categories and add a "best stunt work in a motion picture" category.

-Vader

How does one judge that if you don’t even realize what’s stunt work and what’s not. Genuine question. I’m all for it otherwise.