2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:27 am
I get what he's saying, but if voters don't recognize women doing exceptional and unique work because they're more inclined to recognize men paying homage to other successful male filmmakers, how will progress happen?

The reason people are angry right now at voters and the Academy is not exactly because of the lack of fantastic films led creatively by women. It's that these projects existed this year, many of which were critically lauded, but the women responsible are not being recognized.
sure, but if there was actual gender parity in film as opposed to the token amount now this wouldn't be an issue. plus implying representation is the only area where the academy completely missed the mark gives them far too much credit.
to put so much stock in them is futile cause they're fundamentally bad at what they do -even re: white dude filmmakers- as well as misguided since they're only a symptom of the core issue.

my first choice is to burn the oscars down but if you think they're still valuable as a platform to get art out to the masses i feel the best case scenario realistically is to supply them with a truly diverse selection of films for them to poorly vote on.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:44 am
Bacon wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:27 am
I get what he's saying, but if voters don't recognize women doing exceptional and unique work because they're more inclined to recognize men paying homage to other successful male filmmakers, how will progress happen?

The reason people are angry right now at voters and the Academy is not exactly because of the lack of fantastic films led creatively by women. It's that these projects existed this year, many of which were critically lauded, but the women responsible are not being recognized.
sure, but if there was actual gender parity in film as opposed to the token amount now this wouldn't be an issue. plus implying representation is the only area where the academy completely missed the mark gives them far too much credit.
to put so much stock in them is futile cause they're fundamentally bad at what they do -even re: white dude filmmakers- as well as misguided since they're only a symptom of the core issue.

my first choice is to burn the oscars down but if you think they're still valuable as a platform to get art out to the masses i feel the best case scenario realistically is to supply them with a truly diverse selection of films for them to poorly vote on.
There is very clearly a problem with the voters. How many of them have abused women or are straight-up pedophiles? Do we expect them to vote fairly?

the real question here is why is STEPHEN KING in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences with his resume of screenplays

This is a good video about the issue.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:44 am

yeah but that doesn't mean the AMPAS don't have their own sub-optimal biases responsible for the Greta/Wang, etc, not getting in.

This is particularly egregious when only a single POC was nominated for acting in any of the four categories, of which there were numerous acclaimed choices in each.

-Vader

i agree with you all, as i said 🔥 🔥 🔥

Bring the pitchforks and the torches!

It's popular to state that the Academy has their biases, which I'm sure they do. But you know that after the #Oscarssowhite a couple of years ago that they don't want that kind of publicity again--and yet here we are, so what does that mean?

Parasite, a film by a minority, was nominated for 6 Oscars, including the 2 big ones, Best Picture and Best Director. So what does that mean for the whole "the Academy is bias" rhetoric? I don't know--I'm just talking out loud.

That kind of justification doesn't really work. If they give the statue to Moonlight for a year, that doesn't mean there is no more bias going on among the members. Just like Shape of Water winning doesn't mean the bias against genre movies don't exist.

A shocking reminder that Denzel has never been nominated for a Bafta. Ever.

9 Oscar nomination and 2 wins, 9 Globe nominations and 2 wins, 7 SAG nominations and one win, and not a single Bafta nod. Name one massively acclaimed white actor who has been subjected to a similar treatment.

Bias is certainly there without question. But could an actually racist organization reward a film like Moonlight best picture?