2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm
so is uncut gems for the kino connoisseurs what joker was for normies?? i haven’t seen it yet but i’d love to believe that
I'd actually argue against that. I know quite a few people that have seen it solely based on Sandler, The Weeknd, etc. Lots of communities online are similar. Gems seems to have pretty mass appeal to those who see it but the movie and the Safdies in general are so antithetical to the kinds of movies that the Academy digs.

DGA always has had last one who doesn't make in to the Oscars.

Scorsese, Tarantino, Mendes, and Joon-ho are locks.

The fifth slot could be a number of people: Phillips, Gerwig, Almodovar, Mangold, or someone outside the box like Paweł Pawlikowski last year was

Hopefully its Gerwig

A Waititi nom would be criminal for that film

It will probably be Baumbach.

Allstar wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 11:45 pm
It will probably be Baumbach.
That would make me happier again tbh

More attention needs to be on Little Women and Uncut Gems. I'm shocked that it seems like they're both getting brushed aside for lesser work.

"Little Women" will likely get a best picture nod along with Actress, Sup. Actress., Adapted Screenplay, and has a shot at director.

"Uncut Gems" seems out of awards contention. Sandler has a long shot at a nom but that's it.

I think Best Actor will probably look like this: Phoenix, Driver, DiCaprio, Banderas and either Murphy or Egerton. Maybe Pryce or Bale. I think it would be very surprising if Sandler gets a nomination.