Ma (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

This looks fascinating, and it looks like it's continuing the recent trend in socio-thriller horror. Spencer is on fire.

Spencer bores me tbh. She’s always the same from role to role. And it’s made worse by the fact that the Academy rewards her most of the time for doing nothing. So I guess it makes me dislike her performances even more.

I agree about Spencer, I've always found her one-note. And The Shape of Water was the nomination that really felt like the tipping point for how nonsensical we're going to be nominating her for roles. I watched an SNL rerun recently where she was the host too, and she didn't bring much to the table at all.

Sorry, but I just can't look at Octavia Spencer and see a serious threat.

This looks awesome! I think it's funny how people call Octavia one note and then when she takes a role that is totally different and out there, they say she's not interesting or threatening looking. There are literally hundreds of cases of crazy women look just like her on Snapped every day.

Just because you take a different role, doesn’t mean you’re going to be believable as that character. So far, she’s not threatening. Spencer also likes to roll around in the trashy playground of bad horror movies, so this won’t surprise me if it’s another dud.

shauner111 wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 8:10 pm
Just because you take a different role, doesn’t mean you’re going to be believable as that character. So far, she’s not threatening. Spencer also likes to roll around in the trashy playground of bad horror movies, so this won’t surprise me if it’s another dud.
Eh, I think that's the point. It's subverting the stereotypical "mammy" role Octavia plays, which is why the kids feel so comfortable going to her house and partying in her basement. I don't think this is gonna be a dud. The black community seems to be eating it up on twitter talking about first day and when they buy tickets things at least break even, if not surpass predictions.

When I say did, I mean quality wise. Anything can make money if you promote it correctly and know your audience.