Stardust (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Musician and actor Johnny Flynn will play David Bowie in the upcoming feature Stardust.

Jena Malone and Marc Maron will also star in the movie that tracks the rise of the superstar, starting with his first visit to America in 1971 — a trip that inspired the invention of his iconic alter ego, Ziggy Stardust.

Emmy winner Gabriel Range will direct from a script by Christopher Bell (The Last Czars). Salon Pictures (McQueen) is behind the feature.

Principal photography is set for June 2019, with Range, Paul Van Carter and Nick Taussig producing. Christopher Figg of Piccadilly Pictures is co-financing. Film Constellation will introduce the film to buyers at the EFM in Berlin.

Bowie isn't the only superstar getting a biopic out of Berlin. It was recently announced that a $23 million music-filled film about Canadian singer Celine Dion is in the works from French studio Gaumont.

Flynn, who is repped by CAA, the U.K.'s United and Management 360, is best known by American audiences for his role on the Netflix series Lovesick and NatGeo series Genius in which he played a young Albert Einstein opposite Geoffrey Rush. He can currently be seen in Amazon series Vanity Fair and is set for Working Title's upcoming Jane Austen adaptation, Emma, with Anya Taylor-Joy.

On stage, Flynn appeared both in London and New York in Martin McDonagh's Hangmen, and is currently starring on the West End opposite Kit Harington in Sam Shepard's True West.
I thought Flynn was very good in the rather lacking Beast.

I only know of the 2007 fantasy film Stardust and I recommend everyone check that out right away.

Ultimately, David Bowie's music is the only thing I need. Biopics like these don't do much for me sadly. Walk the Line was ok but in the end a biopic of a less famous person would be more interesting to me.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm
I only know of the 2007 fantasy film Stardust and I recommend everyone check that out right away.
Did you read the book it's based on? I read it in like a day in middle school and I loved it.

Artemis wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 4:57 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
Did you read the book it's based on? I read it in like a day in middle school and I loved it.
I sadly did not but I would very much like to read it.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 4:59 pm
Artemis wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 4:57 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
I sadly did not but I would very much like to read it.
It's by Neil Gainman so you know that bitch is still in print. I'm sure it should be in stores or used bookstores.

This film is said to have only Bowie's covers from the days he was in America, on which this film is based. It's 'going to be more dream like/memory rather than a fact for fact biopic' or something. I translated that bit from a Dutch article

So no original Bowie songs apparently eh

This movie will probably suck so let's just make this the official Stardust (2007) thread.

Claire Danes was amazing in this movie and you could tell Michelle Pfeiffer had a lot of fun with her role.

If you squint, you can recognize our favorite swole boi Henry Cavill at the start of the movie.

No, let's make it the Stardust (1974) thread! We can talk about how weird it was that Adam Faith took on a role originated by Ringo Starr!

Artemis wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 5:00 pm
It's by Neil Gainman so you know that bitch is still in print.
Tell that to The Books of Magic.