The Nolan Fans Film Awards 2019 - (FYC/Discussion)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
All right so unless someone else is interested to do this in a better way than I'm currently able to, I guess I have to go for it myself. But it will be a less fancy version if done by me. Can't do any banners or gifs or anything this year honestly.

So the difference this year is, that in voting for nominees stage, you can vote for up to five contenders and in Best Picture's case up to 7. That said, you don't really have to. So don't hesitate to participate if you don't think you can come up with five or seven nominees for each category. You can very well leave some categories, empty if you like.

But the way it works is, if you decide to rank them, #1 vote will get 5 points, #2, 4 points, and so on (In BP's case, the highest point is obviously 7). However you can also choose not to rank all or any of them. In that case the collective points will be distributed equally between each one.

Documentary and Non-English films, as was the case with previous years, don't have a separate category. If one is deserving you can vote for them in BP category.

And one last thing. The other thread is only for voting. Any other type of comment belongs here in this thread. Cheers.£

When are nominations due?

Pfft, forgot to mention, just like last year you have till 31st of March to pick your nominees.£

Do we really have to make the same mistake as the Oscars and have a Best Animated Film category? I mean, there are years when it's hard to choose 5 deserving movies to nominate. It's a ridiculous category when you consider the winning movie basically competes against maybe 3 other films, whereas every other category has to compete against hundreds of others deserving films.

LelekPL wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 6:00 am
Do we really have to make the same mistake as the Oscars and have a Best Animated Film category? I mean, there are years when it's hard to choose 5 deserving movies to nominate. It's a ridiculous category when you consider the winning movie basically competes against maybe 3 other films, whereas every other category has to compete against hundreds of others deserving films.
if you're a really dedicated troll account like i usually assume you're doing good work

-Vader

I just think you have the douchiest posts around here so we're even there in terms of our opinion of each other. No hurt feelings here.

But maybe you can tell me where I am wrong here? We don't have a category for Best Documentary for the same exact reason I'm citing here. How is Best Animated category any different? Come to think of it, I'd say every year there are more worthy documentaries released than animated movies.

Instead of a snarky comments, somebody give me good arguments on why I'm wrong.

If you think an animated movie should be nominated then just nominate it as the Best Picture. There's no need for a sympathy category where only 3 films are in competition.

And I don't want to bring great animated films down. When they're great, they're great. Inside Out was my number one pick for Best Film in 2015. Zootopia was very close to repeat that in 2016. But they never have any real competition to warrant a completely separate category.

if the point of awards are to represent good movies, and if most people don't commonly rank a myriad of animated movies among the best, deleting an entire type of narrative art because it doesn't suit your preference perhaps tramples over the whole point of awards in the first place

it is an absurd and even baffling suggestion

can't speak for virgo but assuming he deleted doc since nobody here gives a shit about docs

-Vader

You might have a point with giving credit to good movies but I don't think a separate category does this job. I think more people should nominate Animated movies for BP, that's how they gain notoriety. Not giving them a category that the people who wouldn't watch animated movies in the first place, don't give a fuck about.

It's less of a problem here, since all of our "awards" are fun but, let's be honest, they're meaningless. But when it comes to Oscars, which have a big influence on the industry, such a "pity" category makes as much sense as "Best Popular Film" category.

The answer is simple. People here, including myself, see some animated films throughout the year, well the mainstream ones at least, but very very few of us do the same with new documentaries or non-English language films. That's unfortunate, but it's what it is.£

I do agree that putting animated movies in their own category so the Oscars won't have to worry about them too much is sort of an insult to the animations.

But I see the reason for it on a forum like this. And honestly I would love to see the foreign film category as well, especially in a crazy year like this.