Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 3855
Joined: June 2010

Posts: 8282
Joined: May 2012
Location: The Island, NY
Was this movie shot in film or digital?

Posts: 3471
Joined: June 2010
Location: Secret Canadian Bunker
Red Hood wrote:Was this movie shot in film or digital?
It was shot on film using 35mm anamorphic.

Posts: 277
Joined: December 2011
Monicabbm wrote:
Pandering assholes like the guys who make these videos should realize that reviewing movies or criticizing them doesn't mean you strawman them. The point about Costner's character "wanting" Clark to "let innocent people die" is pure bullshit in particular.

This "chronically unsatisfied with everything and above it all" act that fans (these guys, Devin Faraci, most forum goers, RedLetterMedia, Cinema Sins) keep pulling is fuckawful and mean spirited. They stopped expressing opinions, or well thought out critiques of big blockbusters a long time ago, and now they've just become parasites on the shitty Hollywood fair they think is so beneath them. They wouldn't exist without these products they claim to hate so much, and it's contributing to a mindlessly cynical subculture that damns anybody who tries to create anything. Hollywood may just be trotting out the same recycled stuff, but these kind of fuckers are the flies on the garbage, and they're making money off of it too, while looking down their noses at the movie execs who are doing the same thing.

Excuse my rant, but fuck this noise.

Posts: 26208
Joined: February 2010
Location: Texas
chom wrote:
Monicabbm wrote:
Pandering assholes like the guys who make these videos should realize that reviewing movies or criticizing them doesn't mean you strawman them. The point about Costner's character "wanting" Clark to "let innocent people die" is pure bullshit in particular.

This "chronically unsatisfied with everything and above it all" act that fans (these guys, Devin Faraci, most forum goers, RedLetterMedia, Cinema Sins) keep pulling is fuckawful and mean spirited. They stopped expressing opinions, or well thought out critiques of big blockbusters a long time ago, and now they've just become parasites on the shitty Hollywood fair they think is so beneath them. They wouldn't exist without these products they claim to hate so much, and it's contributing to a mindlessly cynical subculture that damns anybody who tries to create anything. Hollywood may just be trotting out the same recycled stuff, but these kind of fuckers are the flies on the garbage, and they're making money off of it too, while looking down their noses at the movie execs who are doing the same thing.

Excuse my rant, but fuck this noise.
Yeah I agree with a lot of this.

I still watch Red Letter Media from time-to-time, because they bring up good points about why a film was good here or bad there. However, I can really only take so much of it, because they tend to delve into the minutiae of the plot or they over-analyze every little thing until they come up with something negative. It makes me wonder how they even enjoy watching films in the first place, it must be so stressful.

Posts: 277
Joined: December 2011
Cilogy wrote:
chom wrote:
Monicabbm wrote:
Pandering assholes like the guys who make these videos should realize that reviewing movies or criticizing them doesn't mean you strawman them. The point about Costner's character "wanting" Clark to "let innocent people die" is pure bullshit in particular.

This "chronically unsatisfied with everything and above it all" act that fans (these guys, Devin Faraci, most forum goers, RedLetterMedia, Cinema Sins) keep pulling is fuckawful and mean spirited. They stopped expressing opinions, or well thought out critiques of big blockbusters a long time ago, and now they've just become parasites on the shitty Hollywood fair they think is so beneath them. They wouldn't exist without these products they claim to hate so much, and it's contributing to a mindlessly cynical subculture that damns anybody who tries to create anything. Hollywood may just be trotting out the same recycled stuff, but these kind of fuckers are the flies on the garbage, and they're making money off of it too, while looking down their noses at the movie execs who are doing the same thing.

Excuse my rant, but fuck this noise.
Yeah I agree with a lot of this.

I still watch Red Letter Media from time-to-time, because they bring up good points about why a film was good here or bad there. However, I can really only take so much of it, because they tend to delve into the minutiae of the plot or they over-analyze every little thing until they come up with something negative. It makes me wonder how they even enjoy watching films in the first place, it must be so stressful.
I give RLM props for being run by obviously talented people with good comedic timing, though. I prefer them over shite like Cinema Sins, which is just painful.

I have to come to the conclusion that this hyper cynicism act everybody keeps pulling is just that, an act. There's no way movies make them that miserable, because if they did, they'd stop watching them. This "edgy", tries-too-hard meme seems like it started with Angry Video Game Nerd, and it's just spread from there.

Posts: 8282
Joined: May 2012
Location: The Island, NY
Cinema Sins, Screen Junkies AND The Nostalgia Critic slammed this movie. I love the Nostalgia Critic but I strongly disagreed with the review throughout.

Posts: 25745
Joined: June 2011
Red Hood wrote:Cinema Sins, Screen Junkies AND The Nostalgia Critic slammed this movie. I love the Nostalgia Critic but I strongly disagreed with the review throughout.
Same.

Posts: 25745
Joined: June 2011

Posts: 434
Joined: December 2011
Location: Where the snow falls
chom wrote: Pandering assholes like the guys who make these videos should realize that reviewing movies or criticizing them doesn't mean you strawman them. The point about Costner's character "wanting" Clark to "let innocent people die" is pure bullshit in particular.

This "chronically unsatisfied with everything and above it all" act that fans (these guys, Devin Faraci, most forum goers, RedLetterMedia, Cinema Sins) keep pulling is fuckawful and mean spirited. They stopped expressing opinions, or well thought out critiques of big blockbusters a long time ago, and now they've just become parasites on the shitty Hollywood fair they think is so beneath them. They wouldn't exist without these products they claim to hate so much, and it's contributing to a mindlessly cynical subculture that damns anybody who tries to create anything. Hollywood may just be trotting out the same recycled stuff, but these kind of fuckers are the flies on the garbage, and they're making money off of it too, while looking down their noses at the movie execs who are doing the same thing.

Excuse my rant, but fuck this noise.
CinemaSins considers their own sin tallies to be meaningless. The meticulous nit-picking is funny because it's intentionally irreverent.

I understand where you're coming from, but it seems like you're taking these kinds of "critics" too seriously.

Post Reply