Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
George wrote:After seeing Let Me In I really wish Matt Reeves had gotten the Superman job. He has a very traditional, authentic cinematic feel, whereas I always get a very hollow, plasticy atmosphere from Snyder's films.
This.

talli wrote:good casting...the younger her wouldve been great for a lois lane
This is what I think too :)

George wrote:After seeing Let Me In I really wish Matt Reeves had gotten the Superman job. He has a very traditional, authentic cinematic feel, whereas I always get a very hollow, plasticy atmosphere from Snyder's films.
I agree. He would've been a good choice.

Let Me In was just a copy of Let The Right One In like Gus Van Sant's Physco. Cloverfield is the film that has demonstrated to me he has talent.

rbevanx wrote:Let Me In was just a copy of Let The Right One In like Gus Van Sant's Physco. Cloverfield is the film that has demonstrated to me he has talent.
:facepalm:

Have you seen Let Me In or is that just an assumption?

George wrote:
rbevanx wrote:Let Me In was just a copy of Let The Right One In like Gus Van Sant's Physco. Cloverfield is the film that has demonstrated to me he has talent.
:facepalm:

Have you seen Let Me In or is that just an assumption?
Yea, cause that's quite the inaccurate analogy.

Have you watched the original then George?

To save me wasting more of time on you and Teddy, as clearly you guys have already made up your mind with the whole facepalm thing, giving me the assumption what you two state is somehow fact. Here is the video of the good Dr Kermode agreeing with me and explaining to you what you need to know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/ ... let_m.html

I have seen Let the Right One In. And I guess whether Kermode would agree with me or not, LTROI and Let Me In are both great films that offer up enough distinction to bypass the typical brand of remake redundancy we got with Gus Van Sant's Psycho. Let Me In is the warmer, more sympathetic rendering of the distanced, more ambiguous Let the Right One In. Though I do agree that Let Me In needlessly turned a few things up to eleven (notably the fire in the hospital and the pool finale), there are numerous additions and improvements that make Let Me In a very worthwhile experience. The early 1980s contextualization, stronger rendering of the caretaker role, better lead performances, minimized neighbor subplot, and the beautiful cinematography being the main pluses for me.

Kermode also gave a line that I find puzzling: "The original is a film about children that happens to feature vampires; the remake is a film about vampires that just happens to have children in it." As damning as it may sound for Let Me In, it's also a line seemingly drawn without any foundation.

For what it's worth, here's what the novel's author, John Ajvide Lindqvist, has to say on this matter:

"I might just be the luckiest writer alive. To have not only one, but two excellent versions of my debut novel done for the screen feels unreal. Let the Right One In is a great Swedish movie. Let Me In is a great American movie. There are notable similarities and the spirit of Tomas Alfredson is present. But Let Me In puts the emotional pressure in different places and stands firmly on its own legs. Like the Swedish movie it made me cry, but not at the same points. Let Me In is a dark and violent love story, a beautiful piece of cinema and a respectful rendering of my novel for which I am grateful. Again."

Clearly we are gonna have to agree to disagree on the matter. I thought the lead performances were good in the film but I prefered the Sweedish actors and the neighbor subplot in the original version. To me it's a dumbed down copy of the original film. It also annoyed me how they messed around with the pool part which is done brilliantly in the Sweedish version and removing the cold atmosphere which the original had. The whole thing was pointless and just made to make money for me.
For me a remake should be totally different to the original anyway like The Fly or Oceans 11 were for examples. I just don't see the need to go though what has already been done, esspesially if the original film hasn't been that out long. I haven't seen the original Insomnia as I can't get hold of a copy but I have been told Nolan took what the film's idea's/plot/prinicples were as the spine of his version, but then everything else was his version of the story so not just a copy of the original film.
That's why I think Cloverfield is the film that has demonstrated to me he has talent, certaintly not this one.

fun fact

Cavill was the original choice for edward in Twilight :lol: