The Widow (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Amazon Studios has released the first trailer for its upcoming eight-episode series The Widow, starring Kate Beckinsale as Georgia, a woman mourning her beloved husband after he is killed in a plane crash in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Things take a turn, however, when she discovers he might not be dead. From there, she puts her life as a recluse behind her, and ventures out to uncover the truth of what happened.

According to a press release, there is also a secondary plot that takes place in Rotterdam, Holland, where “a blind Icelandic man applies for a medical trial in the hope that his sight can be restored. There he meets Beatrix, another candidate for the trial. But Ariel’s keeping a secret, one that links him to Georgia’s husband, Will. It’s only a matter of time before he gets pulled back into that world.”

Those who are familiar with the work of Harry and Jack Williams, who also created the series The Missing, will know that they are experts at twisty tales with deep emotional cores, and this looks to be no different. The series will be directed by Samuel Donovan (Humans, Liar, Utopia) and Olly Blackburn (Donkey Punch, Glue), and will hopefully be a little more nuanced than the trailer seems the suggest (that is, white woman who has to go up against all of the DRC on a quest to save her husband from them). However, the excellent casting gives some cause for positivity, as does the track record of the Williams’ other series.

The Widow also stars Charles Dance (Game of Thrones, Underworld: Blood Wars), Alex Kingston (ER, Doctor Who), Matthew Le Nevez (Offspring, Love Child), Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Babs Olusanmokun (Black Mirror, The Night Of), Louise Brealey (Containment, Sherlock), and Bart Fouche (Invictus, Maze Runner: The Death Cure).

The Widow premieres March 1st on Amazon Prime in the U.S., and will air in the United Kingdom and Ireland on ITV (date TBD).

So...has anyone checked this out yet? Haven't heard the first person say anything about it one way or the other.

DoubleD wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm
So...has anyone checked this out yet? Haven't heard the first person say anything about it one way or the other.
I watched the first episode when it came out but couldn't get into it. I'm gonna try watching it again soon.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 4:37 pm
DoubleD wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm
I watched the first episode when it came out but couldn't get into it. I'm gonna try watching it again soon.
Yea. I really liked the trailers and I keep telling myself I'm gonna start it next but I keep putting it off for other things.