Predict: Movies in 2019

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm preparing for Episode IX clearly being the worst of the trilogy, like ROTJ was. I'd be glad being wrong though.

Ruth wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Penguin022 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 5:11 pm
13. Nope, I read the Black List script, and I find that unlikely. I can imagine a backlash in some capacity, but I doubt it'd be huge.
What sort of backlash could Jojo Rabbit get anyway? I’ve not read the script obviously, so I have no idea. I can imagine a vocal minority trying to pull some unfounded and stupid semi-political crap ala “hitler cracking jokes!!! how offensive!!”, but I’m sure people with common sense would probably see through that. I mean... I hope lol?
If the film were to get any kind of "backlash" it'd be the semi-political crap, because Hitler is portrayed as more of a joke, and the film's main characters are all Nazis. The film is so obviously not pro-Nazi, that I find it so ridiculous to have any kind of backlash against it because of it being "offensive". Plus Waititi is Jewish lol.
BlairCo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Sonic the Hedgehog and Dora the Explorer will be a surprise hit.
Financially, or critically or both?

Financially. They won't be critical darlings, but they will have their fans, similar to how Venom and Jumunji did.

New Mutants premiering on Disney's streaming platform sounds super plausible and would kind of been hilarious to see

xWhereAmI? wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 8:13 pm
New Mutants premiering on Disney's streaming platform sounds super plausible and would kind of been hilarious to see
Audience inaccessibility is not the reason why New Mutants was pushed back and re-shot. I reckon the movie will have it's audience.

honestly if we're talking movies that may never get a theatrical release, i'd more likely place my bet on dark phoenix lol. the latest reaction called it an "embarrassment for everybody involved", and makes it sound like it's truly THAT atrocious.

BlairCo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:25 pm
Financially. They won't be critical darlings, but they will have their fans, similar to how Venom and Jumunji did.
Yeah, that seems reasonable.

Here are my own predictions:
  • Velvet Buzzsaw will have very polarized responses.
  • Alita: Battle Angel will bomb.
  • Dumbo will flop.
  • DC and Marvel will both release more competent release slates for the next few years.
  • Aladdin will suck.
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters will be the highest-grossing MonsterVerse film.
  • Ford v Ferrari will receive lukewarm response.
  • Gemini Man underperforms.
  • Jojo Rabbit will perform better than expected financially.

Hollywood Reporter will release an in depth investigative article about how Dark Phoenix is really just a money laundering scheme.

Yeah, I have a feeling Godzilla is going to kill it and we get this massive attention on big monster movies again

I didn't think much further than February-May but I believe Battle Angel Alita will be both underrated/cult classic and a flop. Similar to Speed Racer. I've seen some motorball sequences yesterday and... Yeah. I need it.🕷