The Haunting of Hill House (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
prowlercomesaround wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 3:23 pm
the_red_ninja wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 11:34 am
pilot review: is scary.
Fuck I was gonna watch it but now I'm having second thoughts
I am weak. But I stay for the family drama tho.

Ruth wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 12:49 pm
Episode 1 to 6 are incredible. Imo it drops a little in 7 and 8, but 9 is great again.
I was thoroughly disappointed by 9
as that's supposed to be the big reveal, but it greatly underwhelms as the whole series was making us guess what happened "that" night. Which essentially turned out to be a ghost whispering to Olivia causing her to attempt killing her children. Not at all convincing. And then the caretakers taking their ghost daughter back to their house was even more lame.

The Haunting of Hill House breakout Victoria Pedretti will be back as the lead in the the second installment of the Netflix horror anthology series, The Haunting of Bly Manor, from Mike Flanagan, Trevor Macy, Amblin TV and Paramount TV.

The Haunting of Bly Manor is inspired by Henry James’ psychological gothic horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which takes place almost entirely in an old country mansion. There, two young orphans are looked after by a young governess by whom most of the story is narrated by.

Pedretti will play the governess, Dani, who is looking after the two unique children. The role has been played by a number of actresses in various adaptations and reworkings of The Turn of the Screw, from Deborah Kerr in the 1961 critically acclaimed feature The Innocents to Michelle Dockery in the 2009 BBC film The Turn of the Screw.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/victoria-p ... 202639440/

Two episodes into this show and I'm about a hundred pages into the book (the show and book are not alike at all).

This show is litty titty and I love how it diverges from the book but still respects the material. This was a good choice for spooktober.

Also, since the next season is Haunting of Bly Manor, I should mention that a Turn of the Screw movie is coming out in January I think and it stars Finn Wolfhard. Will be interesting to see how the two compare and contrast.

Artemis wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 2:58 pm
Two episodes into this show and I'm about a hundred pages into the book (the show and book are not alike at all).
Just wait for 6th. Still can't believe they pulled off something like that so wonderfully.

Artemis wrote:
Also, since the next season is Haunting of Bly Manor, I should mention that a Turn of the Screw movie is coming out in January I think and it stars Finn Wolfhard. Will be interesting to see how the two compare and contrast.
Jack Clayton would still rule them both.

Episode 5...holy shit. That ending was great.

Looking forward to episode 6 now.

spade wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:31 pm
Artemis wrote:
Just wait for 6th. Still can't believe they pulled off something like that so wonderfully.
Just finished up episode 6 during lunch.

Wow...that was so fantastic. The flashback scenes were so heartbreaking too. The child actors who play Nell and Luke are so talented! Your heart and eyes just swell up with every scene they are in.

this show is singlehandedly why i am praying doctor sleep is good

-Vader

So far I think Flanagan does a fantastic job of going beyond the horror if that makes any sense. Like a lot of horror films and shows rely on jump scares and jarring editing and creature design to be scary but Flanagan doesn't really do that. He makes this more about the characters than the scares.

I really like the approach of making this a sort of character study on the family and having us care for the family a lot so that way whatever happens to them makes us more scared because we feel it on a personal level. For example
that one scene where little Luke is under his bed hiding from the tall floating man with the cane, my heart was racing during that and I nearly screamed when the floating man looked under the bed. If we the audience didn't spend so much time getting to know Luke, the effect would not have been the same.
The suspense in this show is so well done. Hats off to Flanagan for pulling this off.

Okay so I started watching this with friends of mine and we did like two episodes each time we got together. So I've seen it over the span of a couple of weeks.

The thing I loved most about this is the narrative, the way it so effortlessly goes back and forth between the different siblings and their POV, their experiences in their youth and how it influences their adult life. It's like the turning of the page in a book, come to think of it. Up until and including episode 6 are all fantastic. I understand why people are less enthusiastic about the second half or about the mystery but I thought it was in line with the story it wanted to tell.

I heard that Bly Manor is not really on the same level as this but I hope it's still worth checking out