Cold War (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

A passionate love story between two people of different backgrounds and temperaments, who are fatefully mismatched, set against the background of the Cold War in the 1950s in Poland, Berlin, Yugoslavia and Paris.
Directed by Pawel Pawlikowski, who won the Best Director award at Cannes. Written by Pawel Pawlikowski, Janusz Glowacki and Piotr Borkowski.
Starring Joanna Kulig, Tomasz Kot, Borys Szyc, Agata Kulesza and Cédric Kahn. Cinematography by Lukasz Zal (Ida).

One of the best films of this year.

Even though it's in B&W and in 4:3 I still highly encourage people to see it in theaters. Both the music and the cinematography are really powerful.

LelekPL wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 3:50 am
It's good. But much like Ida, it's great visually but the story suffers. Their love story is pretty unremarkable. The ending does punch a gruesome poetic punch, though.

Just got back. This was terrific, such a beautiful film. I loved the directing, cinematography and the music. Kot and especially Kulig are fantastic in their lead roles. I think this is one of this year's best films. I hope it can nab a Best Film in Foreign Language nomination, if not win, at the Oscars.

Nomis wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Just got back. This was terrific, such a beautiful film. I loved the directing, cinematography and the music. Kot and especially Kulig are fantastic in their lead roles. I think this is one of this year's best films. I hope it can nab a Best Film in Foreign Language nomination, if not win, at the Oscars.
it's great but it's an insane category this year. burning, shoplifters, ofc Roma, etc

-Vader

it deserves a nomination

Would be fun if Roma enters Best Picture race and not only Best Film in Foreign Language. From what we hear, I think it'll instantly win Foreign Language when nominated for that.

there were a few screenings of this in my city this week

and i missed them

I hope this comes to Houston. I've been wanting to see this for months and the US release date is December 21st apparently.

Utterly hypnotic. Felt like Casablanca mixed in with the Before trilogy.

Holy shit this was magnificent and fingers crossed for its late Oscar buzz (some pundits are predicting above-the-line categories for this).

Also a shame that 90% of US theaters don't mask their screens anymore (let alone mask it for a 1.37:1 movie). Glad to saw it masked.