Netflix's Hold the Dark

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Already made a thread for this, which was miraculously deleted...

Netflix has revealed the first poster and images from acclaimed filmmaker Jeremy Saulnier’s upcoming film Hold the Dark. Saulnier first broke out with the 2013 thriller Blue Ruin, then hit another level with the 2015 neo-nazi thriller Green Room, so anticipation has been mighty high for his next project. Hold the Dark takes place in northern Alaska and stars Jeffrey Wright as a retired naturalist and wolf expert who teams up with a young mother (Riley Keough) to search the wilderness for the pack of wolves that killed her young son. Meanwhile, the woman’s husband (Alexander Skarsgard) returns home from Iraq to the news that his son is dead, igniting a series of violent events.

While that setup may sound a bit strange, word has it that the film goes to very unexpected places, and is not exactly the movie you think it’s going to be. Saulnier’s longtime collaborator Macon Blair wrote the script, and the film is set to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival next month before it hits Netflix, so first reactions should be coming soon.

Saulnier shot this movie in the first half of 2017, then landed a prestigious gig in teaming up with Nic Pizzolatto to direct True Detective Season 3. But Saulnier exited the HBO series after directing only two episodes, reportedly due to creative differences with Pizzolatto—something that has become a recurring theme on the anthology series.

Creative Differences with Nic Pizzolotto would be a great title for a show

Ace

Promising.

Definitely gonna watch this

Love all of Saulnier's work, so I'm definitely excited as hell for this one. Green Room was my #2 of 2016.

more like hold the bark

I thought this was bad

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 10:07 pm
more like hold the bark

I thought this was bad

-Vader
This is not getting as good reviews as previous Saulnier films.
What did you think of Blue Ruin and Green Room?

spade wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 10:19 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 10:07 pm
more like hold the bark

I thought this was bad

-Vader
This is not getting as good reviews as previous Saulnier films.
What did you think of Blue Ruin and Green Room?
I liked Blue Ruin's attempt but thought it was under-executed to the point it felt like a thesis film.

Green Room was great.

-Vader

How's Wright though