The Aeronauts (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Amazon Studios is under way in the UK on ballooning survival pic The Aeronauts, starring Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne.

The online giant has released a striking first look of the two actors (who starred opposite each other in The Theory Of Everything) 2,000 feet in the air.

Tom Courtenay (45 Years), Anne Reid (The Last Tango In Halifax), Rebecca Front (The Thick of It), Vincent Perez (Riviera), Tim McInnery (Game of Thrones), Phoebe Fox (The Hollow Crown) and Himesh Patel (forthcoming Danny Boyle, Richard Curtis project) have joined the cast.

Pic is directed by BAFTA nominee Tom Harper (War & Peace) and is written by Jack Thorne (Harry Potter And The Cursed Child).

Set in 1862, the film follow wealthy young widow Amelia Wren (Jones) and ambitious scientist James Glaisher (Redmayne) as they mount a balloon expedition to fly higher than anyone in history. The chances of survival are slim.

The film is produced by Harper, with Todd Lieberman and David Hoberman for Mandeville Films (Beauty And The Beast); and executive produced by Richard Hewitt. FilmNation is handling sales.

“A top priority for us on The Aeronauts is authenticity. With that in mind, we intend to do as much balloon filming in the sky as the weather will allow. This image was taken after we launched Felicity and Eddie 2,000 feet in the air, performing their scripted scene, while a helicopter captured it all. We’re fortunate that Felicity and Eddie have the nerve to do these stunts themselves as it authenticates our entire approach,” said Lieberman.

Director of Photography is George Steel (Peaky Blinders), with costumes by Alexandra Byrne (Elizabeth: The Golden Age) and hair and make-up by Jenny Shircore (Beauty And The Beast). Production designers are David Hindle (The Theory of Everything) and Christian Huband (Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them). Louis Morin (Arrival) is the VFX Supervisor.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/amazon-fel ... 202445771/

Impressive.

wildly chill premise. if that first pic was the look of the film i'd be super excited but the second pic dampens my hopes. i want a trailer tho as i feel we, as a society, are sorely lacking balloon related movies

I fear it's going to be green-screen galore tho like that first pic indicates

Nomis wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 4:53 pm
The filmmakers said they did as little of that as possible fwiw.

Nomis wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 4:53 pm
the article says it's real

Kris Tapley@kristapley
Aeronauts https://twitter.com/palacefilms/status/ ... 2228410369

palace films@palacefilms
Replying to @kristapley
Guess for Venice opener?

Kris Tapley@kristapley
(Also heard this is VERY good.)
A guy who sometimes hears about research screenings wrote the following early today: “I’ve heard the same good things about The Aeronauts: Easy slamdunk Oscar contender. This movie is an undeniable hit. Visually staggering vintage adventure with impressive and tense set pieces. This will turn Tom Harper into a superstar director overnight. Very similar to Ang Lee and Life of Pi. Felicity Jones is a major Best Actress player and might very well win. She’s a passionate scientist who embarks with kooky hot air balloon pioneer plated by Eddie Redmayne.”
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2019/06/ ... n-reports/

Ace

This looks great!