Ford v. Ferrari (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 2:06 pm
anikom15 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Is this obnoxiously pro-American or should I see it?
If anything, this film is pro-Shelby and pro-Miles.
Most of the people at Ford are depicted (somewhat) as "villains" too.
It was weird how
at least to me, the ending left me with kind of a bad taste about Ford,

and like you said, the guys at Ford were basically the villains of the movie, like they completely screwed Miles, and after that he died (still working for them). But then the film ends with like quotes about Ford's achivements in racing and stuff. Idk it was weird

Saw this yesterday, loved it. Bale, Damon, Letts are all fantastic. The dynamic between Bale and Damon was delightful, the character development is great and the story just flows so incredibly well. It's also a wonderful looking production, it's all around gorgeous. The racing scenes are intense, gripping and exhilarating. This is definitely one of the better films of the year.

Solid movie 10/10

I really liked how
this film wasn't an outright Ford propaganda piece. It was good to see the corporate dudes be painted as the bad guy. But the ending when we see that Miles was indeed fucked over was really impactful.
I'm not adding anything new here but the race scenes were stunning. I was literally at the edge of my seat rooting for Miles to win.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Bale and Damon team up again. They make a good pair.

This was awesome. Bale and the score the two mvp's imo

Okay y’all, I fucking loved this movie. It made me feel it all, from happiness, to anger, to heartbreak. And it’s really pretty to look at. But the title is rather misleading, because it’s Ford v Ferrari in the most primitive and cliched sense. And most of the film is not that at all.
Ferrari, if anything else, is shown just wanting to upkeep his “tradition” of victory, and his whole team have the airs of pretentiousness and snobbery, and you’d think the film would go the route of old v new where Ford is the new, but underlooked and unappreciated underdog, the “future”. But even Ferrari has enough sportsmanship to tip his hat off to Miles, because he recognizes who the heart of racing is - the driver, not the money or PR, or cool looking pictures. Ferrari in this film are an obstacle, but the glory hungry corporate Ford people are the deserving villains (with a mild exception of Iaccoca) of this story. You’d hope Ford, after having cried about his dad, would stand up against the corporate marketing bullshit. But he’s completely spineless. You’re watching Les Mans and you’re rooting for Shelby and Miles, never for Ford.
Okay, this is getting me kind of heated lmao.

But this is a great film, and I would not be surprised if it ended up in my Top 10 of this year. I usually click very well with Mangold’s films, the ones that I’ve seen at least, and this one is not an exception. I didn’t find this to be a bore at all, the racing scenes is some of my favorite stuff I’ve seen this year, the intensity is off the charts, and Bale and Damon together are the duo I’ve never known I needed to see this much. Right at its very core it carries a rather simple, yet still very powerful message of friendship. And this is the kind of shit that gets me all the time, every time.

Didn’t love this. It’s good. Bale and Damon are obviously the highlight. Kinda sappy and sluggish in parts. Great story though, and I learned a lot.

Ruth wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Okay y’all, I fucking loved this movie. It made me feel it all, from happiness, to anger, to heartbreak. And it’s really pretty to look at. But the title is rather misleading, because it’s Ford v Ferrari in the most primitive and cliched sense. And most of the film is not that at all.
Ferrari, if anything else, is shown just wanting to upkeep his “tradition” of victory, and his whole team have the airs of pretentiousness and snobbery, and you’d think the film would go the route of old v new where Ford is the new, but underlooked and unappreciated underdog, the “future”. But even Ferrari has enough sportsmanship to tip his hat off to Miles, because he recognizes who the heart of racing is - the driver, not the money or PR, or cool looking pictures. Ferrari in this film are an obstacle, but the glory hungry corporate Ford people are the deserving villains (with a mild exception of Iaccoca) of this story. You’d hope Ford, after having cried about his dad, would stand up against the corporate marketing bullshit. But he’s completely spineless. You’re watching Les Mans and you’re rooting for Shelby and Miles, never for Ford.

But this is a great film, and I would not be surprised if it ended up in my Top 10 of this year. I usually click very well with Mangold’s films, the ones that I’ve seen at least, and this one is not an exception. I didn’t find this to be a bore at all, the racing scenes is some of my favorite stuff I’ve seen this year, the intensity is off the charts, and Bale and Damon together are the duo I’ve never known I needed to see this much. Right at its very core it carries a rather simple, yet still very powerful message of friendship. And this is the kind of shit that gets me all the time, every time.
So much this. For me it's definitely in the top ten best of this year. It hit me right in the feels. I figure Le Mans '66 is a better title than Ford v Ferrari.

Nomis wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 11:20 am
Ruth wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm

So much this. For me it's definitely in the top ten best of this year. It hit me right in the feels. I figure Le Mans '66 is a better title than Ford v Ferrari.
I thought this was a dumb af title at first, but it actually suits this film a lot better. Has less of a cool ring to it, plus less fitting for marketing (lol), so I get why they chose ford v ferrari

this film got me in the feels a lot more than i expected lol.
my eyes welled up at the end. poor kid, his worst fear materialized in front of his eyes :cry:

oh my god I watched this with my father and we were both basically crying lol