2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:11 pm
The comedy or musical category is first and foremost for the movies that the HFPA don't think is quite good or important enough to be in the drama category (or is good enough to win something but not better than the best movie of the year), and secondly for comedies and musicals. That's like super obvious at this point.
saying HFPA use the comedy/musical to ghettoize movies they don't think are deserving of drama is wrong. Not a single industry expert would agree.

Contorting that to be the truth just to take a shot at Black Panther is just another example where ya'll are going after Black Panther with a sense of hyperbole that's kind of bizarre to people that actually follow award season, you're twisting facts to support a narrative that's a lot more extreme than the reality

Master Virgo wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Panther is such a likeable film that I kind of don't mind that it's getting all the spotlight, even though it's only really the third best superhero movie of the year, excluding Spider-verse which I haven't seen.£
i am frankly baffled that people are shouting into the void about this when you'd think the academy legitimizing comic book and genre movies, even if they happen not to love that particular one, is a net gain overall

ilu Ruth

-Vader

Black Panther deserves Best Picture nominations and I can't fathom nominating it in the comedy category. The backlash against the HFPA would be unreal – "treating the story of the entire black diaspora as a joke" etc.

Green Book is the real travesty here. Bohemian probably won't get into BP at the Oscars anyway, but Green Book will, very undeservingly. Farrelly for Best Director over Lanthimos, Jenkins, Coogler, Chazelle etc is insane. (I haven't seen Vice so I can't comment on it, but I doubt McKay's direction will be stronger than those four.)

LelekPL wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:16 pm
BlairCo wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:22 am
I've been reading that Vice is actually quite underwhelming. I'm surprised it got this many nominations.
I'm not sure what ave you been smoking but these seem to be pretty glowing recommendations: https://theplaylist.net/vice-reactions- ... -20181118/
I’ve been reading the audiences reactions and it’s mixed.

Vader, then why are movies that aren't comedies being nominated for a comedic award?

What you quote is obviously exaggerated, but it’s also not all wrong. They don't honor their own category, and people mock them for it every year.

I'm always gonna be sad that these awards put so much weight on cultural relevance and not just straight out quality. But I understand that that won't ever change. That doesn't make me any less angry when it happens, because I feel like it happens at the expense of movies I love that should get more recognition. And that's what the debate is about for me, it has absolutely nothing to do with taking shots at Black Panther. It's a good movie.
Ruth wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:11 pm
Bacon, how about you buckle up, because it seems like you’ve been straight up obsessing over Black Panther and are having a difficult time handling the fact that it’s getting nominated. Whether it’s based on genuine merit, “pandering” or social influence is irrelevant. We’ve had way shittier noms and wins, hell, we have Bohemian Rhapsody here, and you still choose to waste your energy on Black Panther? After what seems like... months?

Is Black Panther BP “material” if we take away the current social climate? Maybe not. I like it a ton, but probably wouldn’t put it among the year’s very best, but that’s just personal. And the headlines can get super sensationalized and cringey. But y’all really need to pull your heads out of your asses if you think awards are being handed based solely on merit. And that didn’t start with Black Panther. It would be ideal if truly the best of the very best got awards, but that’s always been equal parts marketing and fantasy, and in reality is never going to happen. To take it all out on this one film is nuts.

Now fuck I seriously do not agree with people who go all extreme and throw racism accusations at those who didn’t absolutely adore BP, but this amount of complaining does really make me think sometimes
I don't see the "but what about these other movies?" argument at all. First of all, multiple othet people had already mentioned Bohemian Rhapsody. I can't speak for Bacon, but that was the reason I didn't mention BR but mentioned BP instead. Because it wasn't really in the discussion (post nomination announcement) yet. And also, complaining about BR really won't create a debate at all because pretty much everyone here agrees it's ridiculous that it got nominated. People feel different things about BP though, and that's why it always ends up being a debate. Don't mistake that for borderline racism just because he stands by his opinion on the movie.

Predictably bad nominations. The nominations that bugged me the most were probably all of the nominations for A Star is Born (I know I'm in the minority on this one), although I would've been shocked if it didn't get nominated for anything. The one aspect from that movie I would deem awards-worthy was Sam Elliott, who of course, wasn't nominated.

@Sanchez, I kind of don’t get your angle here but whatevs.

I’m not asking you why you mentioned or didn’t mention a particular film. And while I did single out Bacon here, I did so because he’s been pretty much the sole person on this website to dedicate weeks, heck, months, to complaining about some imminent “downhills” that nominating this will cause, voicing out his never-ending annoyance at how extreme people are sooo going to act because of it, and how much backlash it’ll cause, while literally contributing to all of this nonsense.

Also, people feel differently about every single movie. But I struggle to remember other cases of such intense “debate” happening with other unfair or undeserving noms/wins. People complain and whine, yeah, and usually we tend to look back at certain wins negatively within years, but I’ve seen people act like the entire integrity of the film industry just died, when that’s neither really true nor anything new lol.

I really liked Black Panther a lot. I thought it was a well made film with some super great acting.

Out of all the films to complain about getting nominated, Black Panther is not the one.

Thank you Ruth.

Of course i typed out a huge response on mobile and the website logged me out. I'm not trying to anger people, I just don't think nominations should be handed out due to pressure or fear of backlash and I don't think doing so should be encouraged. Other films may be worse than BP for sure, but that's not a factor in their nomination.

I'll back off.

Bacon wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:57 pm
Of course i typed out a huge response on mobile and the website logged me out. I'm not trying to anger people, I just don't think nominations should be handed out due to pressure or fear of backlash and I don't think doing so should be encouraged. Other films may be worse than BP for sure, but that's not a factor in their nomination.

I'll back off.
You shouldn't have to. Look if you don't feel it's worthy then fine I don't have a problem with it. I don't feel it's worthy of a nomination either. It's a fine movie but heavily flawed. I understand it's impact. I'm incredibly proud that something that I thought would never happen when I was a kid finally got made in my lifetime and was very successful but it's not my one of my favorite movies. It's not even in my top 10 favorite movies this year.

There cannot be any overlap between people who think Black Panther doesn't deserve the nod and anyone who has seen Airport.

This isn't some unassailable pantheon we're talking about here people.