2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Especially considering their obsession with giving Desplat the award.

Vader182 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:01 pm
Bacon wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 11:49 am
BP best pic nom for....drama? BR got a best pic nom? Atlanta got snubbed too? Jeez I knew it was gonna be bad but I didnt know itd be this bad.
that makes no sense, nominating black panther for comedy would be a little sense as nominating bohemian rhapsody for drama

wait

-Vader
Well, BP is exactly as funny, if not funnier than Get Out and The Martian. It has way more jokes at least. But they all know that the musical or comedy category is less prestigious than the drama category, so obviously they had to put BP in drama.

EDIT:
Sorry, I have to say it. Goodness those sneakers look like something off a Saturday morning cartoon.
Last edited by Bacon on December 6th, 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanchez wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Well, BP is exactly as funny, if not funnier than Get Out and The Martian. It has way more jokes at least. But they all know that the musical or comedy category is less prestigious than the drama category, so obviously they had to put BP in drama.
"had to"

you do know the HFPA are like 90 people obsessed with celebs and make choices every year that spark industry wide controversy. i doubt they give much of a shit whether random people cared if they gave it comedy instead of drama. this is getting out of hand.

there's reasons Get Out (a satire) and The Martian (a frank capra feel good movie that has a very light touch with nonstop humor almost) got in for comedy, but black panther, a movie plenty of critics and fans agree is emotional, heavy, and deals with powerful sociopolitical themes in a way most movies don't superhero or not, is a drama. more to it than the number of jokes.

if you care about Panther getting in more than the Roma / First Reformed/ Burning / Cold War / Widows / First Man losing to Rhapsody, a much worse movie and arguably unethical selection, i truly do not know what to tell you

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:52 pm
if you care about Panther getting in more than the Roma / First Reformed/ Burning / Cold War / Widows / First Man losing to Rhapsody, a much worse movie and arguably unethical selection, i truly do not know what to tell you

-Vader
I absolutely don't, that is clearly the dumbest thing they did. But they did more than one dumb thing. And had there been other awards to discuss right now I wouldn't even give a shit about the Globes, because they are a joke. But hey, it's something to talk about.

Get Out and The Martian still aren't comedies. Neither are movies like Her (which is a trillion times more emotional than Black Panther) or Joy. And don't get me started on The Tourist.

The comedy or musical category is first and foremost for the movies that the HFPA don't think is quite good or important enough to be in the drama category (or is good enough to win something but not better than the best movie of the year), and secondly for comedies and musicals. That's like super obvious at this point.

Bacon wrote:
BP best pic nom for....drama? BR got a best pic nom? Atlanta got snubbed too? Jeez I knew it was gonna be bad but I didnt know itd be this bad.
Your complaining about BP is getting very tedious.

Allstar wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Bacon wrote:
Your complaining about BP is getting very tedious.
Buckle up. Pretty sure the headlines are going to only go downhill from here once the Oscars hit.

Panther is such a likeable film that I kind of don't mind that it's getting all the spotlight, even though it's only really the third best superhero movie of the year, excluding Spider-verse which I haven't seen.£

Bacon, how about you buckle up, because it seems like you’ve been straight up obsessing over Black Panther and are having a difficult time handling the fact that it’s getting nominated. Whether it’s based on genuine merit, “pandering” or social influence is irrelevant. We’ve had way shittier noms and wins, hell, we have Bohemian Rhapsody here, and you still choose to waste your energy on Black Panther? After what seems like... months?

Is Black Panther BP “material” if we take away the current social climate? Maybe not. I like it a ton, but probably wouldn’t put it among the year’s very best, but that’s just personal. And the headlines can get super sensationalized and cringey. But y’all really need to pull your heads out of your asses if you think awards are being handed based solely on merit. And that didn’t start with Black Panther. It would be ideal if truly the best of the very best got awards, but that’s always been equal parts marketing and fantasy, and in reality is never going to happen. To take it all out on this one film is nuts.

Now fuck I seriously do not agree with people who go all extreme and throw racism accusations at those who didn’t absolutely adore BP, but this amount of complaining does really make me think sometimes