2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 5:45 am
Ruth wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 5:41 am
what’s there to report lmao
...oh...just...Vader’s...history... of calling people trolls, delusional or mentally deficient, just because one’s opinion doesn’t align with his.🕷️
:clap:
Well overdo if you ask me.

The fact that it's not well made! The fact!

More comical (and an actual thing) is the aversion to the technical proficiency of Green Book's script which should be used to teach screenwriting.

I just don't understand how did Bohemian Rhapsody is nominated for best film editing! The scene that people keep posting on Twitter is just painful to watch.

First Man editing was top notch. There were moments and cuts with the music that gave me chills. A Star Is Born had some very interesting editing choices although, the second half of the film was somewhat rushed compared to the first half of the film which seemed to flow better - almost real time.

Sad that I didn't get the chance to see most of the films nominated :(

Artemis wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 7:21 pm
okay this is kind of a rant so bear with me.

I think it's a good thing that the Academy is opening up membership to more and more people and we are getting diversity and the popular films that were nominated reflects that because at the end of the day, a lot of people who work in film are just as average in terms of film tastes as someone who doesn't work in film.

Can you imagine Chris Pratt sitting down to watch Stalker? Or Henry Cavill deciding he'll wind down his day with A Brighter Summer Day? Is Gal Gadot going to have a double feature of Ossessione and The Postman Always Rings Twice with her friends?

Chances are you probably can't picture it at all. And that's okay because like a lot of normal people, these people have super busy schedules and probably can't devote the time to cinema the way most of the people on this forum do. For us it's a hobby, for them it's a job and I imagine talking about film all day at work can get tiring so like who would want to talk about film when they get home?

I think when I look at these nominations in these terms, I'm less upset now. I'm still bummed that my favorite movies weren't nominated but I think if these more popular movies getting nominated can introduce more people to film and be the catalyst for them to seek out other movies, then I think I'm okay with that.
as a great man once said
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
January 23rd, 2015, 11:19 pm
the idea that people working in the film industry somehow have a more informed opinion on films than the common man is just silly. understanding how a film is actually produced has nothing to do with film analysis (in the same way that roger ebert wouldn't know how to make a movie)
if you're an actor that means you know how to play a character, if you're a gaffer that means you know how to light things, nothing more than that.
you're a technician who's working in an industry that happens to produce films

Keith and I are literally the same person

Artemis wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 10:54 am
Keith and I are literally the same person
i mean, don’t we all aspire to be like him sometimes

i think keith is mostly correct here, but by virtue of being in the industry the average actor or gaffer probably has more appreciation, if not understanding, of movies as an art form.

the thing of it is how much of the academy want to be perceived and i bet old oscar voters feel pretty progressive voting for so many "queer movies" like The Favourite and even Rhapsody and so many "race movies" like Blackkklansman, Panther and Green Book. But Green Book made them feel the best, which is why it's being voted on..everywhere.

there's still a ton of genuine support for all these movies, there's simply too many voters for there not to be

-Vader

The only really big injustice regarding Panther, that comes to mind is it not being nominated for cinematography. Freaking thing is gorgeous as fuck.£

Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm
The only really big injustice regarding Panther, that comes to mind is it not being nominated for cinematography. Freaking thing is gorgeous as fuck.£
competitive year for the category and imo Morrison's visuals aren't top 5 material

still the best looking marvel movie by far though

-Vader