2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 9:52 am
It's a fucking crime Won't You Be My Neighbour? didn't get Best Documentary nomination. I thought it was a slam-dunk to win.
Personally I found it overrated. But maybe because I don't have the American context of the importance of the show.

LelekPL wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 9:56 am
BlairCo wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 9:52 am
It's a fucking crime Won't You Be My Neighbour? didn't get Best Documentary nomination. I thought it was a slam-dunk to win.
Personally I found it overrated. But maybe because I don't have the American context of the importance of the show.
Neither do I; I'm Australian, and it had me in stitches.

Wait a second, wait a second. Roma didn't get editing nominations. The fuck is this?£

Also, no Cooper for Best Director and no Chalamet for Best Supporting Actor.

Vice being nominated in Editing is a big fucking joke.

both major actress noms for Roma indicates massive actor support for Roma, the most important branch by far, and shows broader support than the guilds.

my head knows Green Book'll probably win, but Roma has such a close shot my heart thinks Roma will.

-Vader

First Man snub for Film, Director, Cinematography, Editing and Score stinks. A very mediocre list for Best Film (still to see two fo them). Would have loved to see Lynne Ramsay also for Director. That film (You Were Never Year Here) was 'Directed' as good as, if not better than, any film on the list.

The Oscars lost credibility as a complete measure of a films/filmmakers quality some years ago but it still leaves me angry when I see this happen. It is obvious that any film with a positive message on social commentary and/or social justice automatically elevates it above others and voters become blinded by the merits of really great fringe films.

Unless Green Book changes my mind, Blackkklansman is my personal favourite on the list for best picture.
Last edited by Tesla on January 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Also, quite a bit of love for Buster Scruggs. Netflix is finally a legit Awards player.

Vader182 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am
both major actress noms for Roma indicates massive actor support for Roma, the most important branch by far, and shows broader support than the guilds.

my head knows Green Book'll probably win, but Roma has such a close shot my heart thinks Roma will.

-Vader
it's actually quite fun that it's nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language

Well Amor did the same.£