2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
that's so mindbogglingly fucking stupid

waiting for the twitterstorm tomorrow

also, Bale thanking Satan, that's a keeper

Vader182 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 12:29 am
i'm upset insofar as this more or less this vicariously gives more power to Singer, which more or less keeps the toxic and evil power structure of hollywood pedophilia going strong

the actual ceremony is meaningless, but that isn't

-Vader
Agreed. I don't care about the awards shows much, but the effect this could have on the industry, as a sign that these crimes are tolerable? Yeesh.

I’ll watch the monologue soon and Spider-verse won something so that’s pretty much good enough for me. The rest is, as I can only imagine, probably as bad as ever. Wait, Bohemian won something? Trololololo...🕷️

Edit: rip this world after that monologue... I already miss Ricky Gervais. Next year is probably going to end up being worse, with everyone’s skin in the audience around 1mm thick.

I was about to write something how shocked I am but I've seen only 3 films out of the 10 that were nominated, and neither of them have won (Panther, Bkkkman and Mary Poppins), so I can't really comment.

Damn you, international release scheduling!

Oh, Justin Hurwitz winning is a great choice over all the other nominees. I think Desplat was nominated just because he's Desplat.

I'm fine with Bohemian Rhapsody winning because Bryan Singer makes up only about 15% of why the movie was a success. He left the project. He was not in the editing room. It is more Fox's movie than it is his.

BlairCo wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:00 am
I'm fine with Bohemian Rhapsody winning because Bryan Singer makes up only about 15% of why the movie was a success. He left the project. He was not in the editing room. It is more Fox's movie than it is his.
It stands for utter mediocrity is what bugs me more.🕷

BlairCo wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:00 am
You're wrong.

Ottman catapulted Bohemian Rhapsody across the finish line with producers Graham King and EP Denis O’Sullivan. He worked the film into such fine shape, that before Dexter Fletcher stepped in to finishing directing on the film, Fox was so blown away with a first cut that they moved Bohemian Rhapsody out of its Christmas day debut to the first weekend of November. The spoils have been through the roof: The New Regency/GK Films production blew away its $35M stateside opening weekend projections and debuted to $51M and has already sang past the $300M mark at the global box office.
https://deadline.com/2018/11/bohemian-r ... 202502082/

Rhapsody is 100% Singer's vision of the project, "brought to the finish line" by his lifelong friend, editor and composer, John Ottman.

-Vader

I've seen it twice now, and while it's not my pick for Best Picture, I can understand how it won, and not just based on its artistic merits. It's an audience movie, and it's not ashamed to admit that it is. In my mind, there is nothing mediocre about Malek's performance, the Live Aid scene, the editing or those moments when you want to join in and sing.

Then again, it's Queen. People would sing along regardless of who'd have directed it.

LelekPL wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 5:27 am
Then again, it's Queen. People would sing along regardless of who'd have directed it.
This. It's hard to mess up Queen sing along segments.🕷