2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Who's going to take it on now knowing their past will be scrutinised? IMHO the academy made a big mistake. This was in the past and they knew it had occurred, so why hire him in the first place? He had addressed and apologised already for the comments. You either accept his past apology and hire the man or you don't even offer him the job in the first place. If you are not prepared to accept his past apology then why force him to apologies again?

Jimmy Kimmel had done some not so wholesome sketches in his past (I personally think they are fine under the guise of 'comedy' but some would find them offensive today). I don't remember there being any outcry or demand for an apology.

Bring back Whoopi

anarchy wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 2:44 am
bootsy wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 1:44 am
Glad he didn't apologize and glad he stepped down.
He apologized and stepped down at the same time. He did initially refuse to apologize.
He did but not the way they wanted him to and I'm glad he didn't do it that way.

Furthermore like I stated before I've never understood why the Oscars or any of these award shows need a host. It's never made any sense to me. The Oscars need to worry about how to get their ratings up, produce a better show and shorten it up because it's boring as fuck right now.

LelekPL wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:36 am
bootsy wrote:
As mentioned above, he has already gone back and apologized... which is a shame. He really didn't need to and I would be more ok with it if he stuck to his guns. He's a comedian, he shouldn't apologize for jokes. Also, as he pointed out, he's 10 year older now. People change. Having a different opinion is not something you cannot forgive after 10 years. It's not like raping somebody and saying "well, now I'm a different person". No, he made some jokes in a stand up act. I mean... I have no more words to describe these "controversies"
Wow, are you serious right now? You are defending his homophobic jokes? So I suppose you are also fine with people making racist jokes as well. Because hey, it's not rape or anything, right?£

All it took was an apology and the job would be his.

Instead he doubles down looking like an even bigger idiot in the process.

Him having such trouble apologizing is worrisome and a indicator of his real views.

It's really odd that for such a long time many heterosexual people actually believed that they can go around making fun of LGBTQ people and display that the very concept of homosexuality creeps them out or use terms like "fag" as insult or for the purpose of humour, without actually considering themselves homophobic.

And honestly, plenty of people still feel the same, but they are mostly among the deplorables now.£

Imagine homophobic jokes being the hill you're willing to die on.

Hart and his many fans has revealed their true colors.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 1:22 pm
LelekPL wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:36 am
bootsy wrote:
As mentioned above, he has already gone back and apologized... which is a shame. He really didn't need to and I would be more ok with it if he stuck to his guns. He's a comedian, he shouldn't apologize for jokes. Also, as he pointed out, he's 10 year older now. People change. Having a different opinion is not something you cannot forgive after 10 years. It's not like raping somebody and saying "well, now I'm a different person". No, he made some jokes in a stand up act. I mean... I have no more words to describe these "controversies"
Wow, are you serious right now? You are defending his homophobic jokes? So I suppose you are also fine with people making racist jokes as well. Because hey, it's not rape or anything, right?£
Hmmmmm, yeah? I think you should be able to laugh at anything: sex, race, sexual preference, rape, murder, whatever. IT'S A JOKE! It's not your real opinion, it's not making a stand on an issue, A JOKE IS A JOKE! The only important factor is whether it's actually funny. You had Eddie Murphy, Chrick Rock, Louie CK and Bill Burr make some of the funniest jokes on the most serious of issues. Actually the darker the subject, the better the joke in my opinion.

How many times does someone have to apologize for something in the past? Tyler the Creator is bisexual and he's banned from the UK for being "homophobic" due to some of the remarks in his older songs. Eminem can get away with worse, including recent releases, with worse comments than Tyler. Theres a point where a forced apology is worse than none.

I dont like Hart very much at all, but if this is another Gunn situation (unsure if it is), I dont see harm in him not bending to pressure like that if hes already apologized and addressed it several times. Not 100% sure about the details here, but I'm not sure 10 year old joke tweets that are considered offensive and crude from a comedian known for being crude and loud is the best thing to continuously judge a person with.

@LelekPL As long as everyone else doesn't feel the same way as you, then it's simply not OK. It's your choice if you don't mind people making fun of, for instance, one of your parents suffering through cancer or your little sibling, who might have a mental illness, as long as it's fucking funny, but don't expect the outside world to owe you the same treatment in return.£