2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Blank Panther getting a BP nom because of its social relevance may be a stretch, but it getting nominated for best visual effects is an insult to every VFX-heavy film to come out in the past 10 years.

This is unacceptable.

no way, that's an actual shot from the film?

I wonder how many of the more subtle VFX films will land in the final 5, like Christoper Robin for instance (haven't finished watching it but damn, it looks incredible)

ImageImage

Just beautiful

Bacon wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:48 pm
Blank Panther getting a BP nom because of its social relevance may be a stretch, but it getting nominated for best visual effects is an insult to every VFX-heavy film to come out in the past 10 years.

This is unacceptable.
I dunno what you have against BP but people in the industry evaluate criteria differently than we do and there's tons of amazing VFX in that movie. Wakanda is a marvel of design and execution, and a lot of what's good about it is really challenging to do even if it doesn't always look like it. Some bad CGI here or there doesn't change the whole.

IE, Ex Machina had a lot of VFX that might look simple to the average viewer but people in the industry recognized the difficulty in executing that achievement.

-Vader

Shot from trailer (NOT included in film); no CGI:

Shot from film:

Literally a floating head. Looks even worse in motion.

EDIT: Calling Ex Machina's CGI average is ridiculous. Ignoring Panther's CGI as mediocre for a big budget film is also ridiculous. Has nothing to do with my opinions on the film itself.

are you sure since you're the one who keeps taking shots at it in multiple threads for months

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 7:25 pm
are you sure since you're the one who keeps taking shots at it in multiple threads for months

-Vader
I don't like the film very much.

The CGI is objectively bad in a majority of scenes. This isn't news. This was even brought up numerous times by people reviewing it positively when the film first came out.

These two things are not connected.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15731&start=330#p1159407
If you re-read the thread, many agreed the CGI looked terrible and we assumed it wasn't final (but boy were we wrong). I was also anticipating the film unlike most MCU films, so don't make it seem like I have some vendetta against this film. It just disappointed me, and I don't think it shouldn't have gotten the levels of critical praise it's getting.
Last edited by Bacon on December 4th, 2018, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 7:38 pm
I don't like the film very much.

The CGI is objectively bad in a majority of scenes. This isn't news. This was even brought up numerous times by people reviewing it positively when the film first came out.
so its a conspiracy and the VFX branch are in on it

got it

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 7:43 pm
so its a conspiracy and the VFX branch are in on it
It's a MCU film produced by Disney with huge cultural impact. They're going to nominate it regardless. Doesn't mean it deserves to be on the list of nominees.

Wasn't there a post earlier establishing that Disney was putting all of its award efforts behind BP (including VFX)?

I would say Disney would be backing Black Panther for Best Picture if it weren't for the early word on Mary Poppins Returns.