Eighth Grade (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
How does this not already have a thread? Written/directed by Bo Burnham

Missed a pre-screening opportunity for this one because of other commitments. Now that I've already seen Searching and Christopher Robin, this is the one I anticipate seeing most this weekend.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like Searching was moved to August 24th (guess this weekend got overcrowded).

Opens nationwide this weekend and I really want to see it but I'm tight on cash...

Big fan of Bo Burnham, I've been looking forward to this since the trailer. Hopefully I'll get to see it this weekend.

Bo Burnham is one of the worst stand-up comedians of all-time. If this movie is even mediocre as opposed to godawful, I'll be shocked.

Tourmie wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 11:30 pm
Bo Burnham is one of the worst stand-up comedians of all-time. If this movie is even mediocre as opposed to godawful, I'll be shocked.
Yeah, his stand-up is pretty horrid stuff, but I'll still give this a shot considering the damn near universal praise.

I actually like Bo Burnham's stand up. I think he's funny.

I saw this movie last week. I really loved it! It was amazing how Burnham really captured what going through 8th grade was like. I could relate to a lot of the scenes. The main actress Elsie Fisher was phenomenal. This girl is going to win an Oscar someday.

I look forward to whatever movie Burnham does next.

His stand-up is not 100% my thing but he's definitely done a lot to earn where he is right now.

I really enjoyed this film. The formular for teenage centric films is a "group of friends" or "one character who has a best friend" or "a character that has a sibling(s)", but in this film is just the one lonely girl - who sort of has social media as her support characters/friends. Sooo refreshing to see that because that is how it is nowadays.

Elsie Fisher is amazing in this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

bit off topic: I personally feel that there are too many transitions in the American school system yo. kindergarten > elementary > middle school > high school > college > job/career

the_red_ninja wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 8:08 am
I really enjoyed this film. The formular for teenage centric films is a "group of friends" or "one character who has a best friend" or "a character that has a sibling(s)", but in this film is just the one lonely girl - who sort of has social media as her support characters/friends. Sooo refreshing to see that because that is how it is nowadays.
Yeah this is definitely a lot more realistic. In middle school and high school, I was usually at home all the time since like I couldn't drive so I never got how teens in movies and shows were ALWAYS hanging out and going to parties and stuff. Like who's driving them? lol

I really enjoyed this film too. It was really realistic and some of the scenes were a gut punch. It was also genuinely funny too.

I also really loved the dad in this movie. He seems like such a patient dude.