Rub & Tug (TBD)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Numbers wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 1:52 am
Artemis wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 12:48 am
Imagine being this defensive over Scarlett Johannson.
lmfao Allstar was just laying down the facts, and the best comeback that you had was "okay boss." SAD!
Because I was done with the argument? Because Allstar would have disagreed with me on which films are chick flicks? Because we would have further disagreed on which films in her filmography are legit good?

But please continue.

I don't see what's so controversial about Scarlett's casting? :?

Pratham wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 2:44 am
Other than taking a role from another, less attractive actress, who probably would have been a better fit, just to go for that "making myself ugly to win an Oscar" glory, me neither. It's been done before many times. I get that it's a tired cliche but why so much uproar now?

LelekPL wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 3:12 am
Other than taking a role from another, less attractive actress,
Like who?
LelekPL wrote:
who probably would have been a better fit,
Not for the box office I'd wager. Scarlett is most probably in top 5 actresses at the moment in terms of global popularity.

Pratham wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 3:51 am
LelekPL wrote:
Other than taking a role from another, less attractive actress,
Like who?
I dunno. Some unkown, the bearded chick from The Greatest Showman, Kathy Bates... I don't know. That's a question for casting directors. BUt I'm sure there are very talented less attractive actresses.
Pratham wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 3:51 am
LelekPL wrote:
who probably would have been a better fit,
Not for the box office I'd wager. Scarlett is most probably in top 5 actresses at the moment in terms of global popularity.
That's true and I completely understand the studio's decision and why I agreed with you.

Artemis wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 1:58 am
Numbers wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 1:52 am
Artemis wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 12:48 am
Imagine being this defensive over Scarlett Johannson.
lmfao Allstar was just laying down the facts, and the best comeback that you had was "okay boss." SAD!
Because I was done with the argument? Because Allstar would have disagreed with me on which films are chick flicks? Because we would have further disagreed on which films in her filmography are legit good?

But please continue.
I’m really curious which ones are chick flicks. I counted two tops going over her IMDb. Also isn’t “chick flicks” kind of a dated and sexist term?

Pratham wrote:
afaik the individual Scarlett’s going to portray didn’t identify as female, so people think it doesn’t make sense for a cis woman to portray her, when there are trans actors who could’ve benefited greatly from an opportunity to receive more recognition in an industry where they’re massively underrepresented.

Scarlett’s a pretty great actress imo, though. And she definitely has a nice filmography under her belt. If there’s any reason to “cancel” her, it’s definitely not due to her lack of talent, come on..

Ruth wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 4:48 am
Pratham wrote:
afaik the individual Scarlett’s going to portray didn’t identify as female, so people think it doesn’t make sense for a cis woman to portray her, when there are trans actors who could’ve benefited greatly from an opportunity to receive more recognition in an industry where they’re massively underrepresented.
But there's a counter argument to that. If the movie is about to showcase her transition from female to male, then a female actress would have been the more logical choice.

Ruth wrote:
when there are trans actors who could’ve benefited greatly from an opportunity to receive more recognition in an industry where they’re massively underrepresented.
Yeah but on the flip side, (barring the movie being a sleeper hit) there would be zero recognition boost because no one would to see a movie starring someone unknown.

Btw this includes unknown cis, white, straight male actors as well.

Ruth wrote:
Pratham wrote:

Scarlett’s a pretty great actress imo, though. And she definitely has a nice filmography under her belt. If there’s any reason to “cancel” her, it’s definitely not due to her lack of talent, come on..
I don't think I've ever really seen a ScarJo movie and thought "wow she is an amazing actress."

I like her voice acting though. She was really good in Her and Isle of Dogs.

I do like some of her films in her filmography but a lot of the films she has done have bored me or I just didn't enjoy them at all or they're just forgettable.