Mandy (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Not a complete success, but a fascinating film nontheless. Has plenty of Texas Chainsaw Massacre blood in its veins with a bit of Blade Runner and Mad Max added for good measure. Cage's antics work very well here, but Roache is just downright awful. Seems as if he wants to channel Rutger Hauer early on, but then slips into Jared Leto level of bad.£

Master Virgo wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 9:13 am
Not a complete success, but a fascinating film nontheless. Has plenty of Texas Chainsaw Massacre blood in its veins with a bit of Blade Runner and Mad Max added for good measure. Cage's antics work very well here, but Roache is just downright awful. Seems as if he wants to channel Rutger Hauer early on, but then slips into Jared Leto level of bad.£
On the money.🕷️

Master Virgo wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 9:13 am
my biggest thing is how hollow a lot of it is, the imagery and arc don't really have much going on beneath them although I liked it more than you did. I even think Roache is really good here.

when you say Leto bad do you mean like, 2049 because of Blade Runner or just in general

-Vader

I really mean his Joker. As in forcibly maniacal in an unbearably repulsive and fake type of way. I liked his Niander Wallance actually. Had room for improvment, and it was altogether much better written than acted, but bits of his performance were really on point.£

Master Virgo wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 1:03 pm
I really mean his Joker. As in forcibly maniacal in an unbearably repulsive and fake type of way. I liked his Niander Wallance actually. Had room for improvment, and it was altogether much better written than acted, but bits of his performance were really on point.£
wasn't his character was meant to feel false and forcibly maniacal and unbearably repulsive? that's exactly how I'd describe him too

-Vader

I believe it doesn't come across as geniune, because of the poor performing choices he makes. Stressing in the wrong places, enforcing unnecessary facial expressions, etc. Plenty of actors can go repulsive in front of the camera with monkeying around and overacting, but to give all that a captivating quality is the key, which I find to be absent here. Basically the difference between TLJ's Two Face and Carrey's Riddler.£

Watched it today. Probably the most disappointing film of 2018. Except few scenes, the movie was almost insufferable. Characters, plot, visual imagery, everything so hollow, so superfluous. And yes Roache is bad. Also poorly written.

But Johan Johansson! Not his best, but a nice swan song.

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I feel like it deserves to be forgotten.🕷

we must pay respects to this banger

Yep, this was awesome. Yes, it is a straight-forward narrative. Did I care? Nope. It's a visual movie, and it communicates more through its visuals than anything else. And listening to Jóhann Jóhannsson's score made me wonder what his score for BR2049 might have sounded like.