The Way Back (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 8:07 am
it shouldn't matter that he's white
Yeah, it's mainly about execution.
That being said, I can easily see how this might go wrong.
Hell, even Wes Anderson was guilty of including the "white savior" trope in Isle of Dogs.

Wait, what? It does matter that he is white. The terminology “white saviour” does not have the same effect in reverse, cause, every aspect of life humanizes white people. White people can choose to be colourblind to race because they have representation everywhere. POC know when white people are generalized its not true since they’ve been taught from the earliest schooling and in every medium to see them as normal. Contrarily, white people have justified all kinds of terrible shit against POC using generalization, like, the white saviour complex. When Hollywood generalizes POC to white people its actually dangerous because due to lack of exposure some of them might actually believe that shit. Refusing to use the descriptor “white” contributes to erasing POC's experiences; It only illuminates to the white default.

Numbers wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Nomis wrote:
Hell, even Wes Anderson was guilty of including the "white savior" trope in Isle of Dogs.
lol for real? :facepalm:

WilE wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 5:07 pm
Nomis wrote:
It matters more that Affleck's such a crappy, limited actor.
Promote that man

Nomis wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 5:44 am
Numbers wrote:
Nomis wrote:
yes. its not a conscious act

Janina Gavankar (Blindspotting, True Blood) is nearing a deal to play Affleck’s ex-wife who still cares about him, while Al Madrigal (Night School) will co-star as Affleck’s assistant coach. Collider hears that Michaela Watkins (Casual) has been eyed to play Affleck’s sister, though that remains unconfirmed at this time.

Nomis wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 5:44 am
Numbers wrote:
Nomis wrote:
Your ignorance knows no bounds.

Anyone see that 30 Rock episode where Alec Baldwin's character tries to coach a inner city baseball team? Watch that episode if you want to know what people are talking about when they talk about white saviourism in media.

Anyway, WB moved up The Goldfinch to September from October.

At the moment I'm skeptical if this is the right move or not. My friend helped out with the product placement for Has-Been and she said that the script is mediocre and she doesn't have much faith in this movie.

I think Goldfinch is a better movie to bet on when it comes to the Oscars. The director for Goldfinch is John Crowley and he directed Brooklyn which got some Academy love. As for O'Connor....idk man.

Goldfinch is based on the Donna Tartt novel that won an obscure award known as the Pulitzer Prize. IDK if you've heard of it and it has an amazing cast too. That should be the Oscar movie WB rallies behind. WB will def do awards campaigns for both probably but I'm not liking this release date switch up.