The Eternals (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace
Marvel finally unloaded news about their Gods vs. Gods movie The Eternals today at Comic-Con. Marvel boss Kevin Feige said it’s opening Nov. 6, 2020. Feige trotted out the cast Richard Madden was here as Icarus, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, and the leader of the Eternals Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh and Don Lee as Gilgamesh….and of course Angelina Jolie.

As previously reported, The Rider director Chloe Zhao is attached to helm the feature adaptation of the Jack Kirby-created comic which centers around the super power near-god beings The Celestials and their villainous adversaries the Deviants in a war set millions of years ago. The Celestials experimented on humans creating both races of immortal spin-offs. The Eternals debuted as a comic in July 1976. Matthew and Ryan Firpo wrote the script. Kevin Feige is producing.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-eterna ... 49881/amp/
Last edited by Ace on July 20th, 2019, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know anything about this nerd stuff but I'm in for the cast.

swiggity swooty richard madden comin for dat marvel booty

Excited for this. The cast is great (Jolie and Hayek <3)
I wonder what the tone of this film is going to be compared to The Avengers.

http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.

Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
I'm pretty sure only a few percent of the population is as ripped and hot as Chris Hemsworth, but I still have to look at the fucking face of people like him in movies.

It’s not about the statistical numbers, it’s about the fact that the LGBTQ+ community has been long deprived of earnest and truthful portrayals of its members in the mainstream media. Gay people (and literally everyone else on the queer “spectrum”) have been stereotyped, mocked, tokenized and rarely given the chance to be able to fully express themselves in entertainment the way others can.

Nobody is “force-feeding” you anything - you as a grown adult can absolutely make the choice to not watch anything you don’t want to watch. Although, if the strive towards diversity and equity is something that turns you off from a certain media product, then it says a lot about you. Nobody is taking anything away from us white straight people.

This is not the place for this kind of discussion. I suggest moving along or finding an appropriate thread.

Ruth wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:34 am
It’s not about the statistical numbers, it’s about the fact that the LGBTQ+ community has been long deprived of earnest and truthful portrayals of its members in the mainstream media. Gay people (and literally everyone else on the queer “spectrum”) have been stereotyped, mocked, tokenized and rarely given the chance to be able to fully express themselves in entertainment the way others can.

Nobody is “force-feeding” you anything - you as a grown adult can absolutely make the choice to not watch anything you don’t want to watch. Although, if the strive towards diversity and equity is something that turns you off from a certain media product, then it says a lot about you. Nobody is taking anything away from us white straight people.

This is not the place for this kind of discussion. I suggest moving along or finding an appropriate thread.
Ruth, you don't have to start with the attacks by saying, "if it turns you off that says a lot about you." I'm trying to look at it from a statistical point of view. I agree with you when you say that historically, they have been underrepresented and stereotyped, that is absolutely true. My point, however, is that if a studio starts to reveal with every other film that one of its characters is LGBTQ, and assuming it doesn't serve the plot, it is just there to show more representation, how is that not appeasement on the part of the studio? It isn't organic, it is shoehorned in and people feel these corporations are forcefeeding it down the consumers' throats.

I have seen a lot of focus groups and studies that strongly suggest that one of the primary reasons that 61 million people voted for Donald Trump (of which I am not one of) is because of what they perceive as an obvious social agenda that lambasts white privilege, suggests reparations is appropriate and if you disagree with an exponential increase in a very small segment of the population in movies, then you are clearly a bigoted racist.

Emotional attacks are now the preferred method of debate rather than substantive discussions. We may have evolved over the years into becoming a more socially accepting society but we have regressed when it comes to debating in a respectful manner.

Even if the LGBTQ+ population is 4.5%, having like two or three Marvel characters identify as LGBTQ+ still fits in with the statistics.

Did I personally attack you? No. If I did, I’m sorry. It’s pretty sweet of you to assume my responses are emotionally charged and regressive though, I’ll give you that.

Does every studio push for a LGBTQ+ character in all movies? No. End of discussion.