Us (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:02 am
Vader182 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 2:56 am
that's one tiny part of one short scene, so making that the crux of your point kind of weakens your overall point, no?

I don't actually have an answer to that, though. I'll have to rewatch it. There's a few other things i'd like to clear up on additional viewings. But these type of banal logic issues are, to me, the least interesting way to watch movies.

-Vader
But it's not one tiny part of one short scene. And it's not the crux of my post was either.
How are the tethers able to break free from their impulse to mimic their doppelganger's behavior? This is how the revolution happens, and they don't explain how they're able to gain the ability to fight back. This is only worsened by Jason. Why are Jason/Pluto tied in this mirrored way, but no other tethers we see in the film are? We see tethers putting themselves through immense bodily strain, mimicking their doppelganger's actions and movements, but somehow they're able to unite and carry out their plan. This isn't just a single scene, it's part of a larger and pivotal plot point the film revolves around.
Like...dude. Don't react this way or write me off when I'm bringing up legitimate issues (these issues are widely being talked about right now online, and I'm not the only one). I've already admitted they bother me more than most as well. No need to get hostile. I liked the film, and I intend to see it again relatively soon, I'm literally seeking counter-arguments to prove myself wrong about it because I dug the core concept so much.
I see, other members have started to realize Vader can be a legitimate pain in the ass when your opinion doesn’t align with his.

Bacon wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:59 am
Setting metaphor and subtext aside:
Certain aspects try really hard to make the twist work. Adelaide's primal screams and sighs when she kills her doppelganger, along with her hints about how she struggles speaking. But I find it extremely odd that Adelaide (the one alive at the end of the film) seems to have no memory of her origin until the plot decides to let her have the revelation. Why has she forgotten throughout all of this and is just now remembering it when she's been going through way more traumatic experiences throughout the runtime of the film? Or has she not forgotten at all? That option might be even more problematic. Not to mention her doppelganger not bringing this up in the slightest. I understand this version of her has gone insane, but I'm not sure how that affects the way she speaks to the extent it obviously does and I'm not sure how it affects her memories because she appears to have no recollection of being the real Adelaide. EDIT: Just read somewhere that the original Adelaide had her throat crushed? Was this explicitly shown and how did I miss that if it was?

This muddied final twist is also worsened by just how far-fetched the entire clone concept is. The final image of the reds holding hands is powerful, and dare-I-say iconic, but the helicopters in the sky reinforce just how pointless this gesture is. All of the reds will most likely be taken down easily as soon as they finish their public display. Why did they go through all this effort to just do...this? Was it ever explained how any of them were even able to break through their fixed patterns of behavior in the first place? They all seemed to be completely powerless in the flashbacks. How did Adelaide's doppelganger organize the revolution? There's tons of variables glossed over. It's not the point of the film but there are tons of things that don't line up logically. It's a great Twilight Zone episode, but it hurts the film as a whole imo.
The first two thirds were near pitch-perfect only to crumble its concepts under its own ambition, something I'm surprised happened considering Peele's previous navigation of pitfalls. He provides lots of ideas to think about but the film could have been so much stronger if the material that the ideas come from was more solid.

I'm fully aware I'm in the minority on this.
When she's taken in the house of mirrors, her doppelganger grabs her by the neck and the scene fades to black. When she wakes up chained to the bed, she doesn't scream or say anything. I imagined that's how it happened.

Saw this last night, the only thing I knew beforehand was that it was about
doppelgängers
So as you can imagine, I was really glad I skipped the marketing.

I quite enjoyed this. Peele and Nyong'o are the MVPs, both on top of their game. I think the first act worked best in terms of building tension and balancing it with humor. The second act is so bewildering and I thought that twist at the end was still too simple, even though so much of the film works toward it and it probably would've been a huge mess if they never came with it. So it's integral, yet too predictable and unsatisfying, for me at least.
It's just such an odd world Peele created, major Twilight Zone vibes which I admire.

Also @Vader182: don't be so crude towards Bacon damn.

Bacon does raise some good points though.
The dopplegangers breaking free of their routine literally adds to the thematic elements of the film about class warfare/coming to terms with how the US treats its disenfranchised. I don't think this is something to brush off. It doesn't effect the overall quality of the film but it is a gnawing tidbit that will be discussed for a while. Peele might not address it but don't tear down other people who want to talk about it or dismiss their viewpoints.
This is like the second time in less than a month I'm seeing Bacon getting shit for no reason at all. First the Captain Marvel drama and now this. Lay off the dude damn.

I had my theater experience ruined by people around me for this yesterday. So fucking mad. This one girl right next to me was on her phone for a good portion of the film until I told her to put it away, and there were so many people just talking and laughing at fucking everything.

But I liked it. Definitely not as good as Get Out, and it feels a lot messier, but it's also way more ambiguous so not really holding anything against Peele. Great performance, haunting music and beautiful cinematography (the fight at the end was really epic), but most of all I loved the comedy. Funniest movie I've seen in a long time, which was refreshing after having seen some seriously unfunny movies recently (like Captain Marvel and Aquaman).

Ivan wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 8:12 am
When she's taken in the house of mirrors, her doppelganger grabs her by the neck and the scene fades to black. When she wakes up chained to the bed, she doesn't scream or say anything. I imagined that's how it happened.
lmao don't know how I didn't pick up on that

Also, can't get over the soundtrack in this. "Anthem" and it's remixes/use of certain songs in the film was great.

This movie is a masterpiece. It far exceeded Get Out for me.
Peele is officially one of the most exciting filmmakers today in my opinion. I hope this streak continues. He's the only mainstream filmmaker in Hollywood doing anything interesting with the Horror genre right now.

Angus wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm
This movie is a masterpiece. It far exceeded Get Out for me.
Peele is officially one of the most exciting filmmakers today in my opinion. I hope this streak continues. He's the only mainstream filmmaker in Hollywood doing anything interesting with the Horror genre right now.
Is Jordan Peele already a mainstream filmmaker though? I guess he could be. If Get Out was his Saw... but too early to tell in my opinion. Maybe after his third.

Artemis wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 8:40 am
Bacon does raise some good points though.
The dopplegangers breaking free of their routine literally adds to the thematic elements of the film about class warfare/coming to terms with how the US treats its disenfranchised. I don't think this is something to brush off. It doesn't effect the overall quality of the film but it is a gnawing tidbit that will be discussed for a while. Peele might not address it but don't tear down other people who want to talk about it or dismiss their viewpoints.
This is like the second time in less than a month I'm seeing Bacon getting shit for no reason at all. First the Captain Marvel drama and now this. Lay off the dude damn.
In the former instance, all I did was pointing out a trend that wasn't a good look. I didn't once accuse the guy of racism or sexism. and PS, Bacon did the same thing to Skylab the next day or two, so I'll sleep easy. This time, I made a crack that a relatively minor plot aspect that has a couple minutes of screentime isn't that big of a deal. It wasn't in bad faith.

Anyway, I think there's a *lot* in Us that's left ambiguous and might seem contradictory and how much you choose to care about that will vary person to person. But movies like this follow a kind of surrealist dream-logic, so trying to dissect the mythology so literally seems to be kind of watching the movie "wrong."
Forget why the boys are still mimicking, the entire idea of an underground society living with tons of reproducing rabbits (rabbits without food..) and they're all in great health and don't look like they haven't seen daylight in 30 years...who somehow communicate through grunts an uprising across the entire united states... for what purpose exactly..? guys none of this is meant to be taken literally. It's a movie that opens with frisbees landing perfectly on circles and clocks hitting 11:11 at just the right time. It's all a dream.

Nolan has expressly said people who treat his movies as puzzle boxes are doing it wrong too, btw. I'm sure Peele would like the same courtesy. That's not to say Us is good or bad, just that it's goodness or badness isn't too tied to whether you can dissect plot points like this.

-Vader

I think we all know what ‘not a good look’ in this day and age means.