Us (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Ruth wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 3:26 pm
breaking news: this is NOT a sophomore slump

i need to process this. but i'll say this in case people wanted to know

the trailer gives away the twist. no, not the super obvious one, but the "surprise" reveal at the very very end. like, it's completely out there if you do a few minutes of thinking. if this matters to you, don't watch the trailer (although if you've avoided it for this long, you probably won't watch it now too)

also, Lupita Nyong'o gave me so much anxiety, if her performance isn't recognized in any shape or form, i'll fucking rage
oscar contender like Get Out?

-Vader
yeah, probably. get out's script was more clever in terms of social commentary, i think, but it does comedy and horror at the same time just as good as get out did. Lupita gave an oscar worthy peformance. Pretty freaking creepy.

In terms of scale and originality, how does this compare to Get Out?

Dammit Ruth! I've kind of become obsessed with the trailer! Hopefully I'll find more things to appreciate other than the twist, but I regret watching the trailer for Get Out so...

Bacon, idk how to answer your question about originality without going into spoilers, but the scale is bigger than get out.

BlairCo wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 1:37 am
Dammit Ruth! I've kind of become obsessed with the trailer! Hopefully I'll find more things to appreciate other than the twist, but I regret watching the trailer for Get Out so...
Same. The song forced me to rewatch it a couple of times lol. I mean I don’t know. Maybe most people wouldn’t notice it, maybe me (and others) piecing the things together was a coincidence, because it spoils shit in a different way than Get Out which literally gives away the shots from the last act. It’s going to be interesting to see if people will recognize that.

Anyway, one thing that I was a little meh about was Peele resorting to the good ole “character comes up to explain everything” narrative cliche. It’s not something that would impact my views on a film in a major way, but I felt the exposition could’ve been infused into the film in more creative ways.

lmao

Dobson wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 7:16 pm
lmao
Saw this on twitter and was speechless. Someone commented and said "When you just keep hitting the predictive text button" lol

Did Sean Penn write that?

Cannot wait to see this tomorrow in a full theater

Watching this in a crowded theater was so much fun. Lupita killed it. Peele did strong directorial work as well.

This suffers from being quite predictable. That being said direction is strong particularly the third act. Also thought a lot of the plot is revealed through characters spoon feeding it to us.
the dance/fight scene is fantastic. The music was so good.