The American (Gyllenhaal/Fukunaga)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Jake Gyllenhaal will play Leonard Bernstein, Cary Joji Fukunaga will direct the film and they'll both produce.

Michael Mitnick (Vinyl) adapted the script from the Humphrey Burton biography Leonard Bernstein. Structured in five movements, like a symphony, The American follows Bernstein from conducting the New York Philharmonic at the age of 25 and through a meteoric rise to fame, all while struggling both personally and publicly to be everything that everyone expected him to be, most of all himself.
The film was developed from scratch by Gyllenhaal and Riva Marker through their Gotham-based Nine Stories production banner. It marks another Nine Stories-produced vehicle for Gyllenhaal to play a non-fiction character, after he portrayed Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman in the critically acclaimed Stronger last fall. Gyllenhaal and Marker produce with BRON’s Aaron L. Gilbert, Fukunaga’s Parliament of Owls and Martha Parker. Jason Cloth of Creative Wealth Media, Mitnick and Adam Gopnik are executive producers.

Jake Gyllenhaal:
Like many people, Leonard Bernstein found his way into my life and heart through West Side Story when I was a kid, but as I got older and started to learn about the scope of his work, I began to understand the extent of his unparalleled contribution and the debt of gratitude modern American culture owes him. As a man, Bernstein was a fascinating figure—full of genius and contradiction—and it will be an incredible honor to tell his story with a talent and friend like Cary.”

Cary Joji Fukunaga:
“Bernstein’s artistic passions changed the way generations understood and appreciated music. It’s been wonderful collaborating with Michael and Jake on Bernstein’s story as we endeavor to capture both the iconic person and artist. Jake is the perfect partner to help bring this story to life and to play this legend.”

http://deadline.com/2018/05/jake-gyllen ... 202380700/

Sounds awesome. Fukunaga did a great job with Beasts of No Nation.

He did fantastic with True Detective, I didn't care so much about Beasts of No Nation. Still have to see his adaptation of Jane Eyre, heard some good things about it.

Nomis wrote:
May 2nd, 2018, 1:44 pm
He did fantastic with True Detective, I didn't care so much about Beasts of No Nation. Still have to see his adaptation of Jane Eyre, heard some good things about it.
My favorite, actually.

Nice, I think I'm going to watch it soon.