Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
With $81 million worldwide, including an underwhelming $48 million overseas cume (and China unlikely to play any role), the hope is that it earns closer to 35/65 (think Shazam) versus 50/50 (John Wick 2). Being optimistic, legs like LEGO Batman (3.3 x $53 million) gets Birds of Prey to $111 while a 35/65 split gets it to $317 million worldwide. However, legs like Fifty Shades and a domestic/overseas split like John Wick 2 means $90 million domestic and $168 million, about on par with Fantastic Four five years ago. Yes, that’s (hopefully) unduly pessimistic, but WB has to hope to at least pass the $250-$260 million totals of Men in Black: International, Dark Phoenix and Terminator: Dark Fate. Good luck…

- Scott Mendelson (Forbes)

I mean, lots of great movies underperformed and sadly did not end up being financially successful (Blade Runner for one). I hope this does well because I'd like the people involved to be able to work on other projects in the future. There's no shame in becoming a cult classic though.

From IMDb.

Your point?

LelekPL wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Your point?
I think it's pretty obvious.

Yet, the audience breakdown for the film was 53% male.

That's on par tbh, not going one way or another drastically.

m4st4 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 6:10 pm
LelekPL wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Your point?
I think it's pretty obvious.
What's obvious is that the film was targeted at women and they liked it more. Case closed. I don't see anything wrong here and the gap in score is not that huge. What is odd is that despite being targeted at women the majority of scores come primarily from men but then again I wouldn't be surprised if men in general grade films more often on these websites.

All right, here are some of the other big budget movies with female or black leads that have been released in the past couple of years.

Wonder Woman

Females: 7.8
Males: 7.3

Black Panther

Females: 7.8
Males: 7.1

Captain Marvel

Females: 7.5
Males: 6.8

The Last Jedi

Females: 7.5
Males: 7

Rise of Skywalker

Females: 7.4
Males: 6.8

Suicide Squad

Females: 6.4
Males: 5.9

Terminator: Dark Fate

Females: 6.7
Males: 6.3

Ghosbusters

Females: 6.5
Males: 4.9

A Wrinkle in Time

Females: 5
Males: 3.9

Doesn't matter if the films are well received or poorly. With very few exceptions like Rogue One or Alita, there is a very clear pattern with this disparity.

And we are not talking about Frozen, Maleficent or Little Women here. Not movie genres that many men traditionally turn their nose up at the sight of them, but action blockbusters that they generally enjoy with white male leads.

Don't try to turn this into men and women have different tastes blah blah. This does not happen the other way around with anywhere near such consistency.

I've seen alarmingly many tweets in style of 'BoP flopped with its feminine agenda, meanwhile me and mah boyz...'

Well, who are your fucking 'boyz' without a woman giving you birth and wiping your nose, you filth?

First of all, I'm aware of such misogyny and male insecurity because the profiles I follow sometimes retweet to comment and give them unecessary attention.

Second, make a good movie, and no matter the cast (but please, try to make it all inclusive, dear filmmakers, and in service of the story) the audience will follow.

Hm, but here's a good movie? :think: I mostly disliked Ghostbusters 2016 and decided to skip both Ocean's 8 and new Charlie's Angels because the trailers did nothing to me... I decided purely as a moviegoer trying to save my wallet from time to time.

I also preordered Hustlers on blu-ray without seeing it cause I have a feeling it's good. I've red enough about it.

But here's an all female ensamble behind and in front of camera... And situation remains the same? Somehow there's a group of grownup insecure males who hate the fact? Oh, you damn betcha there's still a problem with how we see movies in our nowadays society.

And also - bad marketing afraid of the R rating sauce
And also - R rating for a movie that was probably targeted for younger audiences
And also - mid range budgeted February release

But still - a damn fine, unique, quirky type of cb adaptation that needs to be supported for the sake of variety in Hollywood.