The Lighthouse (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nolan is a fucking good luck charm.£

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 4:52 pm
i sorta wish i had gripped on this but everyone involved said it was a terrible time (one tech called it vietnam) so maybe its for the best
a terrible time on set doesn't have to mean it's going to be a bad film... I guess lol

Master Virgo wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm
In fairness Pattinson has been kind of killing it for a bit now. That said it is amusing he gets arguably the best reviews of his career shortly after being cast by Nolan.

When do we get a got damn trailer?

Nomis wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:13 pm
i sorta wish i had gripped on this but everyone involved said it was a terrible time (one tech called it vietnam) so maybe its for the best
a terrible time on set doesn't have to mean it's going to be a bad film... I guess lol
yeah what they were doing sounded incredible but the setups were apparently ridiculous.

May 19th, 2019, 11:34 pm
Nomis wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:13 pm
yeah what they were doing sounded incredible but the setups were apparently ridiculous.
Was Eggers being a douche from what you heard? Apparently Pattinson wanted to punch him in the face, actually he confirmed that. Lmao

the narrative i got was basically that they used their witch clout/money to do super cool ambitious stuff, but it was a big jump in scale for the director and dp so the crew had to take the brunt of their inexperience. they nicknamed it the over-lit house cause the dp would play an unnecessary amount of giant lights all the time. and most of the film is obviously by the coastline but he was playing 20x20ft fabrics which literally snapped the stands they were on, that were made of STEEL. apparently they would rarely get anything shot before lunch due to elaborate long take technocrane setups. all of this would have been a minimum of 12hr days in the wind/rain. i'm not sure they had a single day they didn't end up behind schedule.
so yeah everyone said its gonna be rad but it was a bit of a shit show

Master Virgo wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm
Actually his influence on an actors career has been very inconsistent. You have the likes of Tom Hardy and Christian Bale who went on to do amazing projects afterward playing for Nolan but you also have Ellen Page, Murphy, JGL, McC, Hathaway who kind of flamed out after playing for him.

What is true is that he almost always gets the hottest person on the planet for his recent project to star (Dunkirk being the exception). Leo and Page (and kind of JGL, who was an indie darling at the time) in Inception, Bale, Jackman and Johansson in Prestige and McC and Chastain for Interstellar. And now you have Pattinson.

Murphy got very successful with Peaky Blinders, and Timothee Chalamet became big after Interstellar. Not to mention how McC and Mark Rylance both very well established actors, who both won their first (and only Oscar) not long after getting cast in a Nolan movie.

And now this movie? I'd say the lucky charm comment is pretty spot on.