The Lighthouse (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I look at The Lighthouse this way - it's an H. P. LOVECRAFT short story. You go from that sort of philosophy and everything is suddenly much clearer. The fear of the unknown, suppressed sexuality, prejudice, mythology, the all knowing light of knowledge that consumes etc.

Nomis wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 6:13 am
And??

I loved it. I knew with The Witch that Eggers had talent and this is everything I hoped his sophomore picture would be and more. He's so capable at introducing you to this different time period, to really let you soak it all in and then starting to introduce how these two men behave on this little island. He's so deft into steering this story further and further and at keeping you both mesmerized and anxious to see how it all unfolds. I loved how he weaves machoism, mythology, symbolism, madness and even existential dread all into one terrific narrative. It's so good.

Dafoe and Pattinson are both incredible, I mean the whole thing is just the two of them, some films having so few characters and monologues (often all in one shot) can feel unnatural (imo Birdman comes to mind, where it feels like actors are just reading lines instead of really feeling it, playing off of each other know what I mean?) but here it feels genuine and very responsive of one another. Dafoe and Pattinson both have shown what incredible range they have before I saw this film but man, they impressed me once again. I can't wait to see Pattinson in Tenet and The Batman, he's definitely one of the most talented and exciting leading men of his generation.

Not to forget that I have nothing but admiration and love for Eggers and Blaschke going with B/W film, using old lenses, such a perfectly fitting aspect ratio and to do so much in-camera to tell this story. It all glues so well. It's a stunning looking film and I deeply love the aesthetic, the narrowing production design and just all of it.

I waited a long time to finally see this film in theater and it was worth all the hype. Definitely one of my favourites of 2019. I'm really looking forward to The Northman, I love that Eggers and Blaschke are collaborating on that again. I hope they got another wonderful part for Dafoe in there, he's such a gem.

And thank you for that little gem of a review mate, greatly appreciated! :gonf:

you're welcome 8-) :gonf:

i am definitely way too vanilla for whatever fetishes that were at display here
unless..?

I bet you thought that one eyed-gull looked a little too fresh huh