The Many Saints of Newark (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace
David Chase is finally ready to return to the New Jersey turf of his iconic creation The Sopranos. New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.

Some of the beloved characters from the series will appear in the film. I couldn’t get any more information about the plot, but the time period indicates there will be room for Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former captain of the Soprano crew (played in flashbacks by Joseph Siravo), and a younger version of his wife Livia (played indelibly in the show’s first season by Nancy Marchand), and Tony’s uncle Junior, played by Dominic Chianese.

Chase will serve as producer as well as co-writer, and he will be involved in selecting a director.

“David is a masterful storyteller and we, along with our colleagues at HBO, are thrilled that he has decided to revisit, and enlarge, the Soprano universe in a feature film,” Emmerich said.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/david-chase ... ssion=true
Last edited by Ace on March 15th, 2019, 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Damn boooooy! :clap:

finally something that'll make people born after the 1999 to see the original

I think The Sopranos still is the best TV show ever made and this is massively exciting news. I cannot wait to see this.

Agreed. Nothing surpassed it imo. The Wire, Breaking Bad, Treme, Game of Thrones etc. etc... all good. But Sopranos, huh boy. Need a rewatch during spring break, man.

prince0gotham wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 6:28 pm
finally something that'll make people born after the 1999 to see the original

holy shit this sounds awesome. a few episodes into season 6 and this series has been an absolute joy to watch all the way through.

The Taxman wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 1:36 am
holy shit this sounds awesome. a few episodes into season 6 and this series has been an absolute joy to watch all the way through.
Please report back after you finish the series. ;)

I was obsessing over it for months and months later.

I kind of feel like this should just be a new series on HBO instead. I mean, like why try and force the idea into a feature film? Especially when it's based within an established television universe.

Maybe they could still turn it into a series...