The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Fantastic second episode after an excellent first one. I've seen some call it a "filler" episode, nah, someone's comparison to an RPG is perhaps more accurate with this episode being a series of complications which I adore.

It just has a great feel to it, mood, atmosphere, vibe, look. Goransson's score is super different and fresh. And I need to see more behind the scenes because I can't tell what's real, practical and what's a virtual set so to speak. I'm guessing the desert scenes could have been shot somewhere in California, since they shot there but heh, who knows.

It just has great scope, Favreau is too modest when he says the scope isn't that big, it's fairly contained for now but the production values are as high as you'd expect.

Very cool developments with a certain character too, I can already tell this is going to head in a cool direction and will be the hook of the show.

And it looks stunning obviously, let's not forget to give praise to Baz Idoine too, who shot a lot of 2nd unit before with Fraser and shot the second episode and 4 others in the season. It's funny, I think Rogue One, as well shot as it is, looked too clean and digital seemed like the wrong fit considering it took place right before ANH but it works much better here.

Would still look better on film but the Alexa LF and Ultra Vista combo is dope.

EDIT: About the length, Pascal said this: "Pascal adds that Favreau and the other producers were never committed to a specific composition for each episode. One will likely feel “much more intimate,” while the next will be “epic and 15 pages longer than the previous one.”

Once again so little of worth happens in the second episode. Göransson is seriously epic though.

Ep 2 is a lot of fun, but man, i really can't dial into the style here. the scope of the scripts expands beyond the talent of the men behind the camera.

it's one of the most expensive tv shows of all time (it cost more than S8 of GOT yet it's way shorter so more $$ per minute) yet it looks like 'TV" so often. the action is all flatly lit and over-edited in all the worst ways TV action usually is. they should've paid to hire actual filmmakers to make this.

i have a strong feeling this series will also just 'play' better on a binge watch.

-Vader

Yeah the money spent is not exactly visible on the screen.

ep 2 felt like a shadow of the colossus tv show which made me like it

Really liking this so far. Goransson is fantastic. Do we know if he was the one who also did the teaser score?

Holy fuck this is good but holy fuck this could be so much better.

okay episode 3 got me. it fucking ruled. Deborah Chow is by far the best director so far, she has a cinematic eye far above Filoni and Famuyiwa, no wonder KK gave her sole directorial leadership over Obi-Wan. She's amazing.

-Vader

This is more like an anime than a typical TV show, thank God. Chapter one should have been longer, like a ‘premiere movie’, but otherwise it is good.

I think chapters two and three are about equal. Two starts out rough but gets better, while three is the opposite.

Loving this show so far. So exciting to have a weekly Star Wars shows of this quality and scale. Fraser is my ideal Star Wars aesthetic. Favareau is doing a very good job for what he's doing, just hoping more Filonism’s get injected as the show goes forward. That's all I am looking for now.