Rank The Three Amigos (GDT, AGI, Cuaron)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Pick your favourite

Cuarón
63%
Iñárritu
21%
del Toro
16%

Total votes: 19

Vader182 wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 8:55 pm
Cuarón
GDT

Iñárritu

-Vader
Same order but no gap between GDT and Iñárritu lol.

Vader is a pretty good troll when he wants to be.

probably
inarritu
cuaron
gdt
but i have mixed feelings on all of them. agree with mv that pans lab is prolly the best

I've never had the desire to revere any of them as much as many others seem to.

I mean they do decent work, but none of it has really stood out for me.

Except maybe Hellboy, which I liked a lot.

Wait, I also really liked Azkaban.

Okay so my ranking is like Vader's except imagine the gap between GDT and AGI being longer than The Revenant.

Cuaron is obviously and almost objectively the best out of the three. I don't think he's a very good writer, but his directorial skills are unparalleled. The way he blocks scenes and moves the camera is breathtaking. He's quite possibly the best working director today.

GDT makes good movies. AGI is insufferable.

Anyone who can make Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, and The Shape of Water clearly has the advantage. World class.

But The Shape Of Water is not even good.

On a technical level I may give it to CUARON but I prefer Inarritu's filmography. GDL is one of tbe most overrated nice guys working in Hollywood. With the exception of a couple of amazing films made over 10 years ago, everything else has been crap or a huge MEH from me.

How could Cuaron be the best working today when the dude hasn't made anything in 5 years and didn't make anything for seven years between Children of Men and Gravity? One of the best, sure, but i can name a shitload of better filmmakers out there right now.

BTW Alfonso hasn't put out a good film in 12 years. Gravity falls under the AVERAGE category. Guillermo hasn't made a good film in 12 years. Alejandro on the other hand, made TWO masterpieces back to back in 2014 and 2015. Im also a fan of his earlier work. Any director who falls into that stupid Hollywood trap of making dumb Harry Potter or Hellboy movies, automatically take a backseat for me, no matter the talent. Technique should never overshadow the simple question of "do they make good films or not?" and "how many of their films are memorable?".

Inarritu wins. Is he the best working today or my favorite? No. But it's not a contest at this point.

Cuarón is easily the most talented director.

Nomis wrote:
March 3rd, 2018, 2:33 pm
Cuarón is easily the most talented director.
I agree with you, among the three he stays the best. Can't wait for Roma.

IMHO Cuaron and AGI are leagues ahead of GDT. I disliked The Shape of Water quite a bit (don't get me started on Pacific Rim) I think I just don't like GDTs style.