Untitled Star Wars Film (2025)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.
http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-th ... wars-films

I'm already getting sick of Star Wars but this is awesome news.

IN

But seriously, it looks like they are completely moving away from the main saga after IX. That's great news

This is the second film series planned. And we still have Episode IX and the Obi-Wan spin-off.

Disney, it's time to stop.

Why couldn't it be a TV series?

And why do they always need to plan multiple movies? I love D&D but not sure I want this.

Will new saga movies stop feeling special... pretty soon? I hope not. :/

They probably will.

The reaction to this news---like all the news the last few days---is completely hysterical. It's getting pretty exhausting reading all of it.

Guys, we knew they'd be making many Star Wars movies. Probably one a year for a very long time. This is not news. The story is that it looks like they're pivoting from a single spin-off structure to actual planned out series. After two super messy spin-off productions, that's probably a good idea.

-Vader

Solo, Episode IX, Obi Wan movies (supposedly), new saga, yet another new saga. One day I’ll turn into RLM farts. People are right to talk about over-saturation of their beloved franchises.

Eh, Star Wars is not that important to me. I like Game of Thrones so as long as these Star Wars films don't end up delaying the final season I'm fine with this. After Game of Thrones is over I don't really care what D&D do but if they manage to make some good Star wars films and bring other people happiness with that, that's great.

I'd hate to say 'I told you so' when I was talking about Disney oversaturating everything with their MCU and Star Wars films. Now you're stuck with this because Disney is a huge corporation that owns almost 40% of the market thanks to the 20th Century Fox acquisition. Monopolies generally don't leave you the consumer much choice. So I hope you like endless Star Wars and superhero movies everywhere because that's all you're gonna get in the foreseeable future as far as mainstream entertainment is concerned. Plus, those kinds of movies tend to leave little place for smaller, more challenging films, which means you'll have less of a choice in terms of alternative forms of entertainment. Isn't Disney magical?