Doctor Sleep (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yep. This is good. B from me.

my first viewing was the directors cut this week.

it's good! Flanagan is one of the good ones.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 2:54 am
my first viewing was the directors cut this week.

it's good! Flanagan is one of the good ones.

-Vader
One of the best modern horror auteurs for sure.
Can't wait to finally watch DC after two theatrical viewings.

It's

Out there?

Director's cut is going to be my first viewing too

Watched theatrical twice this weekend and man was this good. I'm sorry I missed this in the theaters. I want to see the director's cut for sure.

Saw the director's cut yesterday, first viewing of the film.

I feel conflicted about many things yet I can also appreciate some of the things in tries to do. For the most part, it's visually pleasing, but more so in a directing way rather than cinematography/color grading. The sickly green/yellow tint can work but I think it was oversaturated so much so that it completely changes skin tone. I did like how the overcast shots looked, a bit of that same ambient feeling about them as in Midsommar, but more reserved.

But apart from that, McGregor is fine, Ferguson just eats it all up and especially Curran is a highlight.

It's been ages since I last saw The Shining but I have vibrant memories of it. As of yet this film hasn't really grown on me and it's not an instant 2049 sort of feel. with both direct sequels being made/taking place decades after the original.

I'll think I'll post more soon, hope others will post their reviews too tbh

Finally saw this (the Director's cut)

There's so much good and so much bad intertwined in this film. And much of the bad comes directly from the source material. The vampire stuff always felt from a completely different universe and is just really cheesy. Rebecca Ferguson nailed it in that perspective though.

The Shining fan-service stuff was tastefully done, with some great recasting (especially Wendy wow) and the Danny arc is really great

It's a fascinating film, a mostly perfect adaptation of an incredibly flawed book. It's the best it could have been I think

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm
Finally saw this (the Director's cut)

There's so much good and so much bad intertwined in this film. And much of the bad comes directly from the source material. The vampire stuff always felt from a completely different universe and is just really cheesy. Rebecca Ferguson nailed it in that perspective though.

The Shining fan-service stuff was tastefully done, with some great recasting (especially Wendy wow) and the Danny arc is really great

It's a fascinating film, a mostly perfect adaptation of an incredibly flawed book. It's the best it could have been I think
is it fan service? all those scenes aren't played for "scares." they're slow burning, quiet, about the relationships between characters, and the cycles of generational trauma and addiction therein.

-Vader

The more I think about this film the worse it gets... Maybe I should give the theatrical film a go someday, wonder if a tighter narrative is going to do it any good.