West Side Story (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
SO PUMPED for this one. Spielberg + musical = drool worthy. I remember reading on Variety I think that the budget on this is 100 million?!

Artemis wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 11:53 pm
my boi is gonna deliver in goldfinch this year and then west side story next year.

I am so proud.
big oof

Numbers wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:28 pm
Artemis wrote:
my boi is gonna deliver in goldfinch this year and then west side story next year.

I am so proud.
big oof
In my defense, he was really good in Goldfinch and he portrayed the character perfectly. As a fan of the book, I have no complaints about the acting.

Artemis wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:39 pm
Numbers wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:28 pm
Artemis wrote:

I am so proud.
big oof
In my defense, he was really good in Goldfinch and he portrayed the character perfectly. As a fan of the book, I have no complaints about the acting.
I haven't see it so I guess I can't comment beyond the critical response it received. West Side Story will likely decide Elgort's future as an actor tho

I agree with that. It's Spielberg and Disney so I'm sure that the casting was not something they took lightly. I have faith.

Based on social media posts, him and the lead actress seem to have good chemistry and the chemistry reading they had apparently went great.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Artemis wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:45 pm
I agree with that. It's Spielberg and Disney so I'm sure that the casting was not something they took lightly. I have faith.

Based on social media posts, him and the lead actress seem to have good chemistry and the chemistry reading they had apparently went great.

I don't like him, I wanna punch him in the face, but I think he has the potential to breakout as an actor. If the film's no good tho, it probably won't matter if he kills it in WSS. Just look at Beautiful Boy. Carell and Chamalet were firing on all cylinders in that flick.. but...

why is hating elgort a thing can someone explain this

-Vader

Numbers wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:48 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

I don't like him, I wanna punch him in the face, but I think he has the potential to breakout as an actor. If the film's no good tho, it probably won't matter if he kills it in WSS. Just look at Beautiful Boy. Carell and Chamalet were firing on all cylinders in that flick.. but...
Damn tell us how you really feel :lol: joking aside, I never cared much for him either until Goldfinch. Before Goldfinch I did like his work in Men Women and Children (snooze of a movie but good ensemble), Fault in Our Stars, and Baby Driver. I've also watched some of his lesser known work in the past month or so. The scripts aren't always great but his acting is good.

At least with Carell he's pretty well established in the industry so having a dud like BB won't hurt him too much. Chalamet will also be okay too since he has an Oscar nom and he's doing Dune. Directors are literally lining up to work with him.
Vader182 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:51 pm

-Vader
I think it's mainly his face and in interviews he has confidence and self esteem but people misread that as being a douchebag.

Vader182 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:51 pm

-Vader
Uh for me it's just his punchable face. Kinda like JGL and Miles Teller.
Artemis wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm
At least with Carell he's pretty well established in the industry so having a dud like BB won't hurt him too much.
But between Beautiful Boy and Welcome to Marwen, it's not hard to see why Carell is returning to TV.
Last edited by Numbers on October 3rd, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what is a "punchable face"

the only face i can think of like that is, like, the guy in the jedi fallen order game

-Vader