Untitled Blade Runner 2049 sequel (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Slightly off topic here but is Villeneuve's DUNE film a certainty ?

Villeneuve has repeatedly said he's fully committed to making Dune now.
BlairCo wrote:Get another up-and-coming director with a vision. Villenueve saw how 2049 was a singular wonder that could co-exist with the original, but I feel he has used up all that could offer in allowing the world of Blade Runner to evolve. I fear that if Scott returned, he would get caught up his own ass in trying to make it all whole rather than 3 respectively seperate stories. Remember, he had a hand in the script-writing for 2049.
Scott's story input in 2049 was good though. Luckily, Villeneuve did made the script more his own.

antovolk wrote:
LelekPL wrote:The studios that invested in the movie and that haven't lost their money due to contractual machinations won't look at BR2049 as a success either and WB won't give money for a sequel. It's just not a viable property. No matter who took the dive, the movie lost money. Nobody will be investing in it anything more.
It's. Not. WB. Who. People. Have. To. Convince.

It's Alcon who finance it. WB will distribute whatever Alcon has cooked up in the US because they have a pre-existing output deal. Like m4 said, it's a Twin Peaks scenario of 'sure, we may lose money, but while making something artistically worthwhile', and the Alcon guys have been saying as much during the press tour. (they let this be 2h42 dammit!) The only other question is whether Sony will contribute to the budget in exchange for overseas distrbution like they did on 2049 - will Rothman share that same enthusiasm. The fact that Sony made its money back and will turn a profit for themselves with the home release sales if they haven't already done so helps...
It doesn't matter who made it. Whether it's WB, Alcon, Disney or Cannon Films - that studio will never finance another BR ever again.

DREAMER wrote:Slightly off topic here but is Villeneuve's DUNE film a certainty ?
Not if it's supposed to be 150 million... and I don't see it being possible for any less.
Dune would be the same story as BR. Another box office bomb.

Dude! Highly unlikely but not impossible. Maybe if a good script is written they might see a potential. You never know.

Not impossible. Even Villeneuve said they lost money but they were very happy with the film and don't regret it. The fact that both films are so critically acclaimed, tells me they'll make adjustments in the future if Ridley has another story. They can make it work in order to release another. Not that I want another because I'm nervous about the team moving forward but it can be done.

Villeneuve on the possibility to return to the Blade Runner world:

“It’s such an inspiring place, the Blade Runner world,” he says – adding that he would be interested in another movie if it was ‘unconnected’ from the first two.
“The problem is have is the word ‘sequel’. I think cinema needs original stories. But if you ask me if I’d like to revisit this universe in a different way, I can say yes. It would need to be a project on its own. Something disconnected from both other movies. A detective noir story set in the future… I wake up sometimes in the night dreaming about it.”

I still can't believe 2049 even exists.

4N Legend wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 10:07 am
I still can't believe 2049 even exists.
This. And that it's on my TOP 20 list.

We're truly blessed to have it.